Unit 39 Mtn Goat.....Again

AIROHUNTER

I drew this tag last year and elected to take a raincheck because of the trinity ridge fire. I made a couple scouting trips last year and another again this spring. I have a couple more planned before season but because I am out of state that's the extent of my pre game. Just trying to reach out to anyone who may have had that tag in the past, at two hunters a year that's not a lot of folks. I'm just excited to get back into the Sawtooth's to chase "The Beast the Color of Winter"..

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Incredible- The mountains are on fire again!

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

The fires shouldn't hurt your hunt. The goats don't live where the fires have burned. The unit will be opened up by October, go in and kill one with good hair.

I think F&G may have records of where the goats tend to be. I hear they don't move around a lot. Pretty high success rate, so I imagine you can find them. You're luck on the fire situation this year as the fires seem to be everywhere but the pockets your goats hang in.

The hard part is scheduling the time off, not only myself but those who plan to help. Being from out of state I just cant buzz up there for a 3 day weekend. I have lots of mapping of goat habitat and hangouts, made a few trips already and looked over the country, seen goats. Its gonna happen for me but dang it anyways...

Leggit Creek and Mattingly Creek.

I heard Atlanta is being evacuated today because of a new fire - maybe you can access them over the top from Alturas Lake.

Leggit has burned a thousand acres and now the little queens fire is burning south towards Greylock. Pretty soon all the goats should be piled up on Mattingly. Either way it doesn't look like I will get in there this year regardless. Maybe next year. Geeeesh.

When were you planning on hunting? The fire closures will probably be lifted by Oct. and you will have access again.

I had been planning to hunt the end of Sept/1st of October. There is a fair chance I could get in there but I'm not counting on it. It concerns me a great deal that a lot of the known Goat areas have burned, where have they gone? It's all part of the experience I suppose. The state of Idaho has been exceptional to work with, hopefully I can get it done THIS YEAR.

Some may have burned, but the goat habitat is really rocky. I would think there are a lot of nonburnable pockets of rocks within the fire perimeter that the goats can hole up in for a while and survive if they can escape the smoke.

The whole north and east section of that unit is untouched, but I'm guessing you have scouted from the southern access points. The fire closure covers the whole unit now, so scouting new areas would be hard. I see your dilemma!

i cant think of a reason why you couldnt get it done this year. like said above, the fires will be out come october 1, still plenty of time to go and kill one i would think. the fires in 39 were bad last year, and i hunted up in atlanta for deer without issue. look on the bright side, with all the charred landscape, they will stick out easier!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

I will end up with "a beast the color of charcoal!

Game on! It's offical I'm going this year. Greylock side will most likely be shutdown but I have seen the impact of the Leggitt fire and it's minimal. I also found out that the other tag holders all rain checked so it's just me and my buddies hammering down after a Goat. Getting stoked!

>Game on! It's offical I'm going
>this year. Greylock side will
>most likely be shutdown but
>I have seen the impact
>of the Leggitt fire and
>it's minimal. I also found
>out that the other tag
>holders all rain checked so
>it's just me and my
>buddies hammering down after a
>Goat. Getting stoked!
>
>My favorite hunts are because they
>were with friends and family
>not just because "I got
>one".

Keep us posted man, can't wait for the outcome... now go find and woolly billy!

The forest circus always grossly over states the fire perimeters. I bet that Leggit creek was smaller than reported, especially the higher stuff where the goats are hanging. Good luck!

I have seen a ton of aerial photo's and it's not bad at all, just a strip east to west maybe 1/2 mile wide. Plenty of good country left. The countdown has begun.

It was a challenge to say the least, weather being the most difficult. We had about 6-8 inches of snow on the route I had planned to take. Then we got another 3 inches of rain down low when we arrived. Day four we are finally hunting, goats were easy to spot but hard to get at. Mid morning we found "The one". After harvest somewhat disappointed to announce it's a Nanny but it wasn't intentional and still a hell of a nice goat so feeling pretty good about the hunt!
3489goat-2013_045.jpg

Congrats on your success with a tough hunt and even tougher animal. You got a beautiful goat to top it off.

Very nice goat. Thats the one animal I have yet to see. Every time I'm up at Atlanta I always glass the mountains to see if any are up there, so far none.

Chuck in Boise

Great harvest! Don't worry about the nanny/billy part 99.9% of people would never realize if you don't tell them. Besides it takes nothing away from your trophy in my eye's.

Justin

Travis, have you ever seen any goats on the mountain up there??
I was up at the power plant rec area on saturday and was glassing the mountian

Chuck in Boise

>Travis, have you ever seen any
>goats on the mountain up
>there??
>I was up at the power
>plant rec area on saturday
>and was glassing the mountian
>
>
>Chuck in Boise

we pack in several miles and see them at the tip tops of the mountains, mostly the really craggy stuff. never seen any from atlanta only several miles in.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

Nice Goat!
I think the weather and terrain is the hardest part of a goat hunt, you conquered both and got your goat.

Thanks guys! It really tore me up at first, besides breaking off a horn it was the worst case scenario. It wasnt intentional or a last ditch effort but for some reason it just really got to me. Im starting to enjoy the hunt more and more now that a little time has passed. It's a great unit, look me up if you ever draw, hell i would do it again for the next guy. If you just want to view goats drive around to the North side of the river on 205, turn East after the airstrip and follow the jeep trail along the river at the base of Greylock. Look straight up in the shittiest of spots and you'll see goats. Seen them everyday on Greylock but hunting that monster rock of a Mtn seemed un imaginable.
cheers-

I started to go out FR205 on Saturday but there was a sign saying private residence, no trespassing. Am I missing something there?
I didn't know about riverside campground until then.

Chuck in Boise

just passed Riverside campground you cross the little bridge. to your right is a gate and private ranch- go left. Then take the next right and go along the airstrip. The road becomes somewhat of a jeep trail but it goes East all the way along the bottom of Greylock and you can see goats! Just be carefull when you come back out that you dont make the wrong turn and head into the ranch, no gates on the East end. you'll know right away because you will hit their airstrip. I was able to cut off 2 miles of hiking by driving back to the wilderness boundary and wading across the river instead of hiking from the powerhouse campground.

Awesome! Congrats on your goat! That is a true trophy. If you really want to go on another goat hunt, I'm heading up for my hunt this weekend in another unit. You are more than welcome to come along!

How long did it take get the goat out??
Your a stronger man then me
Thank you for sharing your experience with us

Chuck in Boise

What's your goat measure? I'm even a bit thrown at the profile that it's a nanny. She curves just enough up top to be slightly questionable. It shouldn't matter anyhow, nice trophy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom