unit 39, what a joke

S

sds1861

Unit 39 is not at all what it's cracked up to be. We hiked into the backcountry in early October, around 7-10 miles, and there were no big bucks or any decent bucks to be found. We only saw a few small bucks and a lot of elk everywhere. We glassed for hours and hours, the deer just weren't there. Anyone have some suggestions about this unit???? Kind of a tough one to figure out. We stayed up high where the big bucks should be.
Thanks

jokes on you.....If you would have gone in 8 more miles there are tons of bigguns!!!

47aa8a9e202b0d9f.jpg

Hey Dust
How bout another 8 miles in next year, big bucks everywhere!!!!!!

I didnt know 39 was "cracked up" to be anything. There are more hunters per square inch in that unit than anywhere in the state.

There wasn't that many people at the beginning of the season. Later on there seemed to be a lot more. A lot of people driving the roads shooting smaller bucks.
I hunted 39 for the first time last year, I think there are definetly some better general season units to hunt. The 4-point bucks that we did see acted like they had been hunted hard, didn't give ya chance, acted like whitetail. I am going to take my chances elswhere next year. 39 blows.

I'm sorry, but this is a general unit near the highest population base in idaho. It is the most hunted unit (and huge too)in the state. I think maybe your expectations were a bit high. Lots of country, so there are some big bucks, but you are not going to find them everywhere.

I couldn't agree more with sds1861 since I was one of his hunting partners last year. Wolves?? Elk?? We were just amazed we didn't see much of anything as far as deer go.

I guess we were under the impression that if worked our asses off we would have a realistic shot at a 150-170 class mule deer.
We hunted lots of country and hiked many miles. We seldom saw any hunters at all.

One positive note is that we learned alot of unit 39. Great country, just alot of hard hiking miles......

Wait to draw if general 39 is'nt what you were hoping. It's about as good as any general hunt I'm aware of. Basically if you go in expecting to see big deer, you'll prolly be disapointed. Does'nt mean big bucks don't exist there, they do without question. I know of two killed last season better than 180. The high country in 39 is brutal, point blank, it pretty much weeds out the guys who are'nt really comitted............

After we hunted 39 in early October, We ended up hunting some other general season hunts toward the end of the season. Saw a lot more bucks and all of us ended up tagging out in the same gerneral season unit. Basically is what I am trying to say is that there are not many hunters that are going to out hunt or out walk the three of us! We hunted 39 hard this year and didn't see
#$$#$. We hunted some other units hard and saw many more decent bucks. I think 39 is way over rated, and some of these other general season units hold a lot more bucks and more chances at a 170 class buck especially at the beginning of the rut.

in2chukar,
Thanks for all of your help on B's crew this past six months, I enjoyed working with you, we had a great time. you'll do well on project, you know your sh$%. B.N was talking about putting in on some controlled hunts toward the canyon, for bucks and bulls, let us know what ya think, it would be great to have ya along again this year.
schled

I promise you whichever unit you guys tagged out in is being bagged on by some other guy who did'nt hit it right. Luck of the draw my friend. 39 can be off the freakin chain when it all comes together.

gemstatejake, thanks for the reply, maybe we didn't hit 39 at the right time, the weather was pretty mild at the start of the hunt. I've heard it gets good when the snow starts to fall. We were just disapoineted that we didn't see some decent bucks, with all the miles we put in. I'll tell ya straight up that we hunted the quenns right off the bat, and later in the season we hunted the burn off the middle fork, all that country. Last year some buddies said they were passing up 25 to 28 inch bucks looking for the big 30 on that side of the mountain. This year it was nothing like that.

I've never heard 39 highly rated ever, there is a ton of country a ton of hunters and none of is even semi flat. That being said I saw three bucks over 180 come out of there this year.

The best time to hunt 39 is at the end of the season. If you went in long and hard early, you didn't do enough homework.

SDs1861 and in2chukar, Don't be discouraged by some of these replys. You guys are defineatly on the right track and you only need to look at the bucks you guys took this past season for evidence of that. Better than average bucks on a DIY backpack hunt is a great accomplishment IMO. WAY better than most guys do. Keep at it and one of these years you'll be rewarded big time. General hunts are tough, bottom line. Even if you work harder than everyone else, luck is always a factor. Good luck to you..........

SD,
just wondering where you were in 39. normally i wont ask a specific area like i am now, but since your not returning and there are no deer there anyway, im just curious if your willing to share.

t

I posted about unit 39 in the mule deer form also, and if anyone wants to talk about it I have alot of questions.
I have never taken a big buck out of there but I have had a great time hunting it and seeing alot of deer.

CW

Even though we went in hard and early, we still should have seen some decent bucks. Especially as far back as we went. If the big bucks are there, you should be able to find them during the pre-rut also. You put in enough hard work the luck will come!!!! hopefully!!!!!

Oh, they are there. They come out at the end of the year..EVERY year. F&G personnel even "push" to see who gets to man the check station at the end of the year. It's not easy, it's not guaranteed, but there are mature bucks there...some are on my wall.

I have a bit of a standing date with F&G guys at the last day of the season....gotta' brag or get laughed at, depending on the year. The last 4 years I didn't get laughed at.

I agree there are some big bucks in unit 39. It's just a matter of being at the right spot at the right time.

i love 39 try the bow hunt get ina migration with some snow and you couldn;t ask for a better place to hunt. it is tough to see the big buks because they are cagey they have been hunted for a month already by the draw tag. october is a tough time but it is great unit weeds out the girls thats for sure

Please forgive the big deer for not standing on Fall Creek rd waiting to just jump in your truck... Theres alot of big deer up there, just not where you want to go after em...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom