Unit 39

freebird63

I know many on the board guard this unit. I don't know all the spacifics of the unit, size or how much is roadless or how many roads are gated. Because of its proxitmity to Boise it gets more then its share of hunters. I am sure many would say its a unhealthy number of hunters that are up there day in and day out. In the past I have seen plenty of game, but it seems the last couple years the game has been more hard to find, why? more hunters?, preditors?, less animals?, animals change their habits?. Up there you will see way too many ATV's "my opinions only", people using horses or mules, hunting on foot "which I do and not very well as to being partially disabled", road hunters. I don't see IDFG reducing tags or making it a total controlled unit. Here we are aproaching the last weekend of the general season and I have not seen a single deer. Last year at the end of the season I said I wouldn't hunt unit 39 ever again. Does anyone have any answers? are others as frustrated as me??
Chuck

I've seen plenty of deer and more sign than the past two years. Past a few bucks up before I shot one to get back to cow elk hunting. To me, the herd seems to be coming back from 2007 snow kill. Try farther and harder away from the roads, if you can.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-10 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]There are always some resident deer low in 39 not usually by the roads.

Once the weather hits it is not uncommon to see 100 deer a day in 39, not very many bucks mostly does.

There are some good bucks in the area late if the migration gets down before the season ends. Helps to be the first one back in a good spot to see so the hordes of hunters will push deer to you.

I have been hunting the late season up there for a long time.
The numbers of deer have not decreased but the number of bucks has.

Seems like there are more hunters up there every year...if that is possible :).

I just spent the 19th through the 22nd hunting 39. The first two days we covered 21 miles to glass up only 4 does. On day three we finally found deer. Day three we found some deer and I got a decent 4x3. Never saw another hunter more than 1/2 mile off the road. We never even saw a deer in the headlights driving into our spots...never saw a deer until we were at least 1.5 miles off the roads. Talked to the warden and he had only checked a handful of does and a 28" tall 6x5 that day. I would have liked to see that buck.

Just got back from above Arrowrock in 39. Ended up seeing 3 2-points and 10 Does. We saw 9 deer hanging in camps all smaller bucks. Hiked all morning until about 1:00-seen nothing. Continued the rest of our day by driving glassing ridges and that's when we spotted deer.Still looking for the big one. Lots of Elk sign though,on our hike.

Well with any luck either the wife or I can connect with a deer tomorrow as it will be the last day for us. Can usually only hunt one day and then I have to spend the next day in bed because of the back pain. Might have to marinate my tag for a good batch of tag soup. Good luck to everyone heading up to 39

I really wish IDFG would limit the amount of hunters to unit 39, it is crazy the amount of people up there. IDFG also is trying to say there is more deer in 39 then there has been and I find that hard to believe when most everyone I talked too have not seen anything at all. I won't hunt it ever again. Might start looking else where.

Saw plenty of deer and even more hunters today. Every where I walked I ran into someone even 2 miles and 1000+ ft up from the roads. Heard quite a few shots this morning. I saw about 15 deer, mostly does with a couple of forkhorns. I decided to pass on them and hold out for bow season if I have to. The deer are stirring which is a good deal.

I hiked and hiked and hiked and when I finally made it back down to the road I was in so much pain I could barely walk. Sure am glad my wife knows ESP and knew how badly I was hurting. Saw some really awesome deer country, but no deer. Talked to a guy down on the main road and he hadn't even seen a deer all season. Tag soup....yummy

from my personal experience, there are a lot fewer mature bucks the past 2-3 years. as far as overall deer numbers i think they are near the same, maybe a little less.

i saw many, many, many forky's and only 3 mature bucks all season. As for why, i think they need to take the last week of the season and close it like many of the other units. that is when a majority of the mature bucks get killed.

i could go on and on but wont.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Pack Dealer
Havalon Knife Dealer

When I went through the check station I told the IDFG guy that they need to put a limit on the number of tags for 39 because it seems like there are not many deer, he piped right up and said our fly overs have told us there are more deer in 39 then past years, I really wanted to laugh at him. Yes both my wife and I are partially disabled, but I still put in the best effort I could and still didn't see anything. I know there are deer up there, but I don't feel the numbers are where they should be and I don't think IDFG will do anything to fix it, it is the biggest hunting unit "correct me if I am wrong", so therefore its big money maker for them. I feel the amount of hunters up there is very unhealthy for the unit. I guess I have a year to find a unit that is going to be more friendly for being disabled. I so badly wanted to get a buck this year.

My nieces husband and his side of the family just got back from there and they tagged out (6 tags I think) on mostly dinks but his niece killed the buck he had been tracking for 5 days before he gave up and killed a forkie.

The buck she killed was a nice one looked like 27" or 28" wide and 175" to 180". He told me a buddy rough scored it at 190" but I think just from the pics. I didn't see 190" but it was a dandy especially for a first buck, wish I had and could post the pic.

Bill

81 deer were checked on Saturday and 46 when we went through Sunday evening at the Mores Creek check station. Sounded like a shooting range up on the middle fork Saturday morning. Weather got them moving a bit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom