Unit 40 Deer suggestions

tbryson7

We're down to the last weekend and haven't pulled the trigger yet. My son (15) has the tag and we've been hitting it hard the last two weeks. He passed on a nice 24 incher the first week and now he wishes he hadn't.

He's getting a little anxious and the thought of not filling the tag is weighing on him.

We saw 80-90 does this last weekend down near Jordan Valley but only a couple 2 points. We've been out near Reynolds but just haven't seen a lot of deer, that's where he passed on the bigger buck.

Wondering if we haven't had the weather to push them lower? or Is it possible the rut is already over and they've lost interest.

Any suggestions anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Hoping this weather will help some.

Right now a basket 4 point would be just fine.

Hind sight 20/20, we should have pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago, was probably a 160 deer. Lessons learned.

Hunted this unit several years back and listened to the biologist in the area and came the last two weeks and not the first two weeks. Big mistake!!!

Everyone we talked to that was there for the first of the season and all the locals we talked to informed us that the rut in this unit is early. As in started when the season opens and over within the first week.

I did get a 23 inch 4X4 at the head of Cow Canyon. He had several rutting wounds. One was where a tine went clear through his left hind and out under his belly, nixed his testicals and punchered his belly. What a mess, clear full of infection.

All the hunters that pasted the first week on great bucks were also kicking themselfs. They seen lots at first and could not even finsd a good one later.

I believe they rutted so hard that they were laid up, licking their wounds and not even getting up.

Keep at it and good luck.

A NR buddy just got back with a 185-188" buck. He said the bucks rutted early in this unit and when he shot his they were slowing down on their rutting behavior.

My son also drew this tag three years ago when he was 12. We hunted a lot from the opener to the last day. All the Big bucks we saw, we saw the first week of the season. We were looking for a 180 class deer. I have some on video that still haunt me that we passed up thinking "wait till the weather comes in and drives out the big ones". The two biggest bucks we saw on the first day. As was stated, most everyone I've talked to saw more and bigger bucks the first part of this hunt. We got hammered with a major snow storm the last week and could barely get around, it got tough. I would try south of Silver City below the mines. We had a great time hunting long and hard through the season, and that was fun, but if we ever draw it again we will look to kill the first week or so of the hunt and not wait. My son ended up shooting a two point with one hour left in the season. His first deer. Good luck.

I appreciate the comments and feedback. Yeah I wish we could turn back the hands of time. Thanks for the PMs from a couple of you. We'll hit it hard the last these next couple days and cross our fingers.

Last time we believe the F&G and others who say not to shoot the first one you see because they're all over out there.

6605image.jpg

This was an opening morning buck from this year. They found him the weekend before the opener. Went and found him on opening day and figured he was good enough. He was rutting the first time they saw him.

I wish I could draw this tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom