Unit 40 Elk in Colorado

MTQuivers

I drew an archery tag in Unit 40 Colorado for elk. I am looking to start doing some scouting and I wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a GPS with the public private maps downloaded and I can navigate public private very easily. Is there any suggestions on where to start looking and where I may find bulls during early september on Public land? Any help is much appreciated.

Jason Yates
MTQuivers

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-14 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]Jason I drew a third season tag. I'm headed over there tonight give me a call I'm in Ut. 801-860-9333 Russ From my research, the bulls will be on the move by the time my hunt kicks in.

Actually, I'm in the same boat but I drew a 1st season tag. I'd be interested in what you find out. I'll share whatever I can when I scout.

I have hunted deer in that area quite a bit. I have some info if you are interested. Most my time has been spent in October and early to mid November. How many points did you all have?

I used 12 Resident points. I don't think it would have taken that long but I got tired of waiting for another unit. I'd take all the help you'd be willing to give. Thanks in advance.

Dad hunted it 4 years ago after looking it all over we fond a landowner and payed to hunt his land cost 5000 but we had bulls come in camp drove the truck to bull after we killed him we would see 15 to 20 bulls every morning and night can't remember the road but if are on the road that in between 61 and 40 if you could go up the steep part on 40 there was a big part of public that came up to the ground we hunted

There is a lot of water up there right now. Bulls are polishing up and moving a little right now. Unaweep Canyon is tough for sure. Can glass the whole canyon from the highway. Northern end has a lot of BLM. I have seen some very nice bulls up there this year and they were on public. The elk are high and low right now. My wife has an archery bull tag up there this year too. Maybe we will see ya up there on the mountain. Good Luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom