Unit 40 , elk question

foundation

Very Active Member
I am wondering if any body has any hunting reports for elk hunting in unit 40 in Colorado . I'm hearing there is lots of private land , and plan on paying for a guided hunt . I would rather not go guided , but would pay a trespass fee .
Looking at the odds report I'm considering the muzzle hunt . Just trying to make the most of my points for a good Colorado elk hunt . So if any one is willing to share information about how the hunt went , quality , access I would be in your debt .
Post or private messge would be great .
Thanks in advance .

Most of the unit is private land. This is especially evident during the muzzleloader season. The higher terrain has an even higher percentage of private(85-90%).

Most of the ranches up there get big money for their hunts. I checked on trespass fees when I hunted it 2 years ago and nobody was interested. I dont blame them. No reason to have an elk taken off their land by a trespassing customer when they charge 8000-12,000 for a guided hunt.

If you hunt it you need to know exactly where you are. I have hunted there quite a bit so I know where the boundrys are but a person not so familiar will spend more time reading a map than hunting.

There are better units for a quality hunting experience, for a self guided hunter.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom