Unit 40

maddog58

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-18 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]How is the area towards Siver City in unit 40 for the generaltag hunt (2pt only) deer

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-18
>AT 01:12?PM (MST)

>
>How is the area towards Siver
>City in unit 40 for
>the generaltag hunt (2pt only)
>deer

Silver City I meant. Just curious never been out that way.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-18 AT 08:28PM (MST)[p]I never did understand why Idaho would want to kill off their young 2point bucks. And can't understand why anyone would want to participate in it either.
I've heard it's a zoo out there. But if that turns your crank go for it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-18 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the info. Just curious how it was. I could care less about shooting a 2 pt but I might be able to take my 12yr old grandson on his first buck hunt and that area would fit best for the trip.

It's a midweek opener if you go up the weekend or two before hand you should be able to have an A B & C plan for deer. Opening weekend can be pretty busy. Silver city, cow creek, Reynolds ck, mudd flat rd they are all great places to get a deer. Hunting in those aspen stands with a kid would be a great place to harvest first deer. Have fun

I went with a buddy a few years ago. People were road hunting with their cars. People on car hoods and Atv's on every road. With that being said, my buddy shot a two point lol

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-18
>AT 08:28?PM (MST)

>
>I never did understand why Idaho
>would want to kill off
>their young 2point bucks. And
>can't understand why anyone would
>want to participate in it
>either.
>I've heard it's a zoo out
>there. But if that turns
>your crank go for it.
>

To help eliminate the two point gene. Also makes for a very healthy population of mature bucks. They take it seriously too so be sure before you shoot.

While I'm sure most general populations don't have an excess of "2 pt" genetics, I assume it does help with that.

Theoretically, bucks that qualify under this hunt aren't breeding much if at all and theoretically this gives opportunity while not impacting overall population of new fawns each year. Unit seems to have deer and still be popular for late season draw as well so maybe that theory holds water.

I have no more desire to shoot a 2pt than I do a doe or fawn deer, but I have no qualms with others that do, unless they do it in slob fashion or illegally. I think unintended killing of bigger bucks is an unfortunate by-product of this hunt. To clarify, I would have no problem shooting a spike bull or a cow elk, so I'm some form of hypocrite.

Owyhee's can be fun, though I have never been in gen season. No where with deer is un-crowded on Oct 10th.

"2 pt genetics"? Really?

There are lots of big 2 points and 3 points on that unit.

I think the "2 point genetics" don't get killed on that hunt. I think mainly 1.5 year old bucks get killed on that hunt regardless of genetics.

Deer densities aren't really high in that unit and private ground blocks some access of the better habitat, but I would think you could get out there and find a 2 point-they kill a bunch each year.

WOW the 2 point conversation is an interesting one !! One would think IF the main goal was to eliminate the 2 point gene , it would NOT take what 20 plus years to do so !!! The have no more eliminated the 2 point gene than they have increased the big buck decline in Idaho. This is a convenience hunt for the major Boise population , the same reason they made unit 22 a general forkie hunt. These areas were Once the GO TO hot spots for BIG bucks, 22 is still popping out some good 180 plus class bucks every year. But look at unit 40's stat's Not many 180 class bucks killed & this has 3 times the # of tags . This is a good hunt for a kids 1st buck or someone wanting meat for the freezer . Tons of people like others mentioned ..

>WOW the 2 point conversation is
>an interesting one !!
>One would think IF the
>main goal was to eliminate
>the 2 point gene ,
>it would NOT take what
>20 plus years to do
>so !!! The have no
>more eliminated the 2 point
>gene than they have increased
>the big buck decline in
>Idaho. This is a convenience
>hunt for the major Boise
>population , the same reason
>they made unit 22 a
>general forkie hunt. These areas
>were Once the GO TO
>hot spots for BIG bucks,
>22 is still popping out
>some good 180 plus class
>bucks every year. But look
>at unit 40's stat's
>Not many 180 class bucks
>killed & this has 3
>times the # of tags
>. This is a good
>hunt for a kids 1st
>buck or someone wanting meat
>for the freezer . Tons
>of people like others mentioned
>..

Ingles' por favor.

These are the type of posts that you type out long winded rebuttals to, and then end up deleting the whole thing because it's hopeless, LOL.

I was under the impression it was how they managed hunting pressure and limited the harvest of mature deer? Like Oregon and Utah do with spike only elk hunts. As far as genetics I've seen some pretty big 2pts in the Bennett hills as well.

I find it a wonderful management strategy. Yes, many 1 year old forkies and spikes are taken. I'm no biologist and I don't know how long it takes to get rid of a trait but the big forkies are still there. There are several big forked horns, 2X3s, and 2X4s taken every year. I shot a 26" forked horn there years ago and messed up a stalk on a nice 4X2 last year. As I understand the history those are the deer the 2-point rule is aimed at. In any case the younger bucks are still taken. I've yet to hunt a general season unit in which many smaller deer are harvested. The 2-point rule protects the mature bucks and provides a trophy unit that can also sustain a general season hunt. There are some absolutely beautiful deer down there as a result of the 2-point rule and it would be an shame to remove it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom