Unit 40

Just wondering if it's possible to get in some good hunting in unit 40 with a type 9 tag? A lot of people tell me it's mostly a horseback unit. Willing to work to get off the roads just want to make sure a guy can enjoy a hunt and possibly kill a bull without risking it spoiling. I won't be using a horse just my feet. Anyone who's had this tag let me know how your hunt was. Feel free to pm if you want. Thanks all for the help.

Why would 40 be a horseback unit when it contains no wilderness? Maybe a 4x4 or ATV is needed to access some areas. The Bighorns are not that remote and the unit isn't that big, and any place a horse can go you can. Even so you can call an outfitter to pack out an animal if needed, you don't need one to go in. No Non-res wilderness restrictions there, or 38 and 39.

Only about the eastern 1/4 to 1/3 of unit 40 would be considered in the BigHorns NF. If you're in good shape a DIY hunt on foot is certainly doable if you know your limitations. The good thing about the 40-9 is that the only competition you'll have there the entire month of September is a few that draw the Type 6 cow/calf tag that also starts on 9/1. It is one of the few elk units that doesn't allow the Type 1 guys the ability to buy a $30 archery permit to hunt in September. IMHO 40 and 41 are both good unit for an archery tag, but 41 does allow the Type 1 guys to bow hunt the last half of the month, so it adds a number of people into the mix that 40 keeps out.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom