Unit 44 Help?

GilaJeff

I was hoping maybe you all could answer a couple questions for me. How many non-resident points does it take to draw Unit 44 Third Season? And what about the fourth season? Also, how are the deer looking this winter? I drew 44 3rd season back in 2001, and have put in every year since then. The Parks and Wildlife website says I only have 11 preference points. I could have sworn I had 12. By the way, the new website sucks. Well, I appreciate any help you all might be able to offer. Thanks, jeff

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p] I think the new CO. site is easier than before. You just need to click the big game brochure then click on statistics then click deer hunt recap summaries and find the hunts your interested in.This will tell you the quota and res and non res drawn. Write that on a note pad then click on drawing summaries. There you can see how many apps. there were in each pp group. Its just simple math to see how many points needed to (previously)draw a hunt. To get an (estimate) for 2014 compare the amount of apps in your group and above for your hunt to the amount of tags issued last year. Factor in at least another point for creep and you should see where you stand. This is assuming the quotas stay the same and applicants make the same hunt choices as last years.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]16 points guaranteed drawing 3rd season NR last year.

19 points would have guaranteed drawing 4th season NR last year.

Therefore if you had 20 or more points, you would have a good chance of drawing 4th season in 2014. If you had 17 or more points you would have a good chance at 3rd season.

Unfortunately with your 11 or 12 points you may have a long wait.

Good luck!

the year you gave your tag back , you dont get a point. thats why your at 11 probly.

It's not a big deal, but I applied for the third season last year with 16 points and did NOT draw. Maybe one or two drew with 16, but I'd bet guarantee was 17 points.

Hey guys,
I have been applying for 443rd for the past 11 years. Sadly in 2002 I used my points on unit 30 so I had to start over in 2003. As of 2007 5 points would guarantee a non res a 443rd draw, that was as close as I got. In 2008 it went to 7, and 2013 at 17. The math tells me thats 2 points per year creep.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-14 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]YBO, did you by any chance inquire with the CDPW as to why you didn't draw?

The Hunt Recap report shows 3 people applied with 16 points, and they all drew. The 4th NR tag went to an applicant with 18 points. No one with 17 points applied in 2013.

Of course we're talking points GOING INTO the 2013 draw, which is what counts.

44third2013.jpg

Interesting. I have 17 NR points this year. After i didn't draw last year, i picked up a LO tag. Hmmm...I going to make a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Stick, I noticed on the top left corner of your chart it has a date of May 13 2013. Could those decals be for the 2012 season? Just wondering

No, that data is current (from 2013). It shows that 1 drew with 15 points.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

When was the draw for the 2013 season? Or, maybe they figure out this info before they let the public know if they drew or not? I ran down to the office last night curious about last year...I absolutely had 16 NR points when I applied in March of 2013. I applied for unit 44 third season rifle out fof Eagle again. I dunno.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 07:36?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 07:33?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 07:30?AM (MST)

Fourth season 44 in 2013 - 12 NR put in with 18 points. 6 put in with 17 points.

3 of the of the 12 w 18 points drew so your odds were 25%ish if you had 18 points and no body drew the tag with less than 18 points.. So this year if the same folks put in there will be 9 people with 19 points and 6 people with 18 points - that is if no one jumps in and a bunch of new applicants put in for 44 last year. So unless you have 19 or more points going into this year you have 0 chance.

In 2013 or the 3rd rifle season - you had to have 16 going in to the draw to guarantee a tag and had a 50% chance with 15 points as is with the trend it will go up to 17 this year.

Hope it helps.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 08:05?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 07:59?AM (MST)

2nd season in 44 you this year you should draw with 6 - 7 points. 44 is the very greatest n bestest known unit in Colorado or getting a ton of press right now.. This is shown by the 300+% increase in NR applications over the past 4 years in 44. In 2010 82 NR applied for the 4th season tag last year 270 applied for the tag and with the trend it will be over 300 this year. Bunches and bunched of folks are waiting for 44 to finally recover and jumping in w a ton of points.

If it were me I would blow my points on the Holey Cross early rifle in 44 then scout a ton and hope to find a hog - that will only take 6 or so points this year.

With the point creep and with the amount of folks putting in unless you are in the 18-19 point group 4th is never going to happen.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-14 AT 09:23AM (MST)[p]tawstaxidermy....????...I never gave a tag back. I hunted in 2001, shot a nice buck, and then applied every year since then. Then funny thing is that I drew Unit 44 3rd season with three points!

YBO, the dates on the reports are always the actual date and time of the draw.

Third season quota was 15 tags. The allocation was figured as thus:

15 tags x 15% landowner quota = 2.25 tags, rounded down to 2 tags.

Balance of 13 tags x 35% NR ceiling = 4.55 tags, rounded down to 4 tags. (Note this is a ceiling only, not a quota. It is contingent upon NR's having point status superiority to resident applicants. But for virtually all high-demand deer and elk hunts, that is no problem)

15-2-4 = 9 tags remaining go to residents.

The NR drawing success total of 4 tags can also be viewed on the Drawing Summary report, see below.

BTW, if I were you, I'd sure want answers, knowing you had 16 points going into the 2013 draw. There are a few possibilities (application error on your part, for example), but it would be nice to know what happened.

44ThirdSum.jpg

Looks to me like patxarano should have 12 points and YBO should have drawn last year with 16.

Good post sticksender, Thanks

Do you have a copy of your application from last year? Always print out one!

Do you now have 17 points? If you made a mistake in your application, you would still have 16.

txhunter58

44 has recieved alot of press and hype do to some Gov tag bucks being taken as of late... The genetics and big deer are here but it is no "walk in the park" hunt as many people think due to the amount of points it is currently taking to draw. Alot of the true giants tend to not show up until thanksgiving at the earliest. Majority of the big deer that are taken during the regular rifle seasons are taking by local guys or guys with local help due to alot of the big bucks hole up in the month of november and many of the places they do so are very tough to access. The obvious areas are routinely hunted and see plenty of traffic with elk hunters. Those who get off the beaten path along with knowing the unit are the ones killing the big bucks during the regular rifle seasons.. killing them in december with a gov tag is a whole different story as we all know....

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-14 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]The story the statistics do not tell about unit 44:

This tag has not gotten harder to draw because of more applications; it has gotten harder to draw because tags have been slashed to nearly nothing for the late seasons. This unit had at one time up to 125 3rd season buck tags. Averaging around 70-80 3rd season tags for several years.

The unit was hammered in 2007-2008 with snow and the winter of 2008-2009 was no picnic either. There is very precious little food showing above the snow even now with all the warm weather lately. Deer are stacked in areas were the snow melted. The population is certainly not booming and I would not expect tag numbers to rise for sometime.

Population estimates in 2005 to 2006: 8-10,000 deer

Population estimate after 2011 hunt (latest data): aprox 2000 deer

Looks like they will keep the tag numbers down for some time.

txhunter58

Well, it looks like points for Unit 44 creep faster than I can earn them. Maybe when I draw 3rd season with 25 points or so, the herd would have recovered to 2006 levels. I had a great hunt there in 2001. Any suggestions for a second choice unit?

If true, WOW!

Also if true, get ready for more tag reductions.

txhunter58

Did any of you guys read the article buckspy wrote in Western Hunter magazine last year about unit 44 deer?

As I type I am looking at the buck I killed in 44 two years ago on 3rd season. Tough hunt, and not the type of hunt I would have expected, burning my 16 points. Ended up killing a nice buck, but didn't get to look over many. Pray for snow, otherwise you are hunting just a sub-par unit that hasn't recovered from the bad winter IMO.

I agree with Cole, hunting the unit in December is another story, but not many of will ever get to do that. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think coloradoboy is pretty accurate. It is not a "walk in the park" and like bocephus says "it was a tough hunt". I've hunted 44 since 1979 and have seen quite a few changes...some good and some not so good.

I will say the deer hunting is better under the tag quota. Before that it was a zoo during the 3rd season. Hunters were taking everything they saw with horns. Still, we did kill a few big bucks, mainly because no one was hunting them. Lots of elk hunters and no one cared much for the deer. If they had a tag, they'd shoot the first buck they saw. The biggest bucks we saw killed were taken by elk hunters (the only buck they saw).

Under the draw system we drew 44 3rd season in 2001, and again in 2004. Last year we drew 2nd season. I'm 64 and I won't draw this unit ever again. I want to hunt and can't wait (forever) to draw again.

My best advise to you guys who want to deer hunt the 3rd season and have lots of points is to become a elk hunter and learn the unit while you wait for your deer tag. Keep in mind the story of Paul Muehlbauer who shot what used to be the #3 typical at 25 yards in the quakies. There is a lot of back country. This is where they come from when the snow gets deep.

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

The count changed dramatically due to a couple of reasons. As per Fish and game. Winter kill and now the herd count is just for unit 44. It used to include some other units back when it was nearly 20,000 mule deer. Now 44 is managed as a single unit therefore the total count is way down.

I think alot of guys get the misconception that since a unit takes tons of points to draw that it has to be a for sure thing as far as killing a big deer. I cannot honestly think of a unit in this state where its easy to go in and kill a booner mule deer. As many of us know, harvesting a trophy class mule deer is one of the, if not the hardest thing to do in all the west. I can't help but chuckle at guys who call me or email me asking; "what percent chance do I have of harvesting a 190 plus inch deer in such and such unit?' How do you answer that? "Uh ya, if I have my math right about a 35.5 percet chance." LOL It seems people with large amounts of points are so gun shy when it comes to cashing them in because they are scared to death that the unit they pick isn't going to have 180 plus inch bucks jumping out in front their truck every where they go. I honestly cannot name a unit where killing a large buck is a sure or easy thing... but if anyone knows of one let me on it! I personally favor units like unit 44 because I've grown up in the unit, I know it very well and I know the potential it has. But not every single person whom applies for it has the intimate knowledge of it as others do, yet they expect to have similar success in it with out having that same level of experience in it. Big Moose makes a great suggestion in saying to go and elk hunt in a unit/s you wish to chase muleys in the future so that you can gain experience in it. This may not be practical in some of the NW units but it can be done in many... Bottom line is every single "top end unit" in this state has the potential to produce great bucks whether its 2,10,201, 21, 30, 40, 44, 53, 54, 55, 61, 66, 67, 70 and so... The fact of the matter is its HUNTING. There are no guarantees in this sport and the hunt is as only as good as you make it.

Coloradoboy

But by their counts for just 44, they estimated 8-10,000 in the mid 2000s. Now 1600? 10,000 is probably too many, but 1600 is too few.

txhunter58

I was in the unit last summer driving and hiking with my family. We did come up on one pretty nice buck in July while we were hiking the high country.

If you hunt the early seasons take a lot of bug spray.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We're in the draw. Party of three low man with 17 points for 44 third. I give our chances less than 50-50.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-14 AT 04:01PM (MST)[p]Assuming nonresident, I would say more like 70% odds. Went from 14 to 16 points last year, so know telling what it would do this year. With only 5 nonresident tags, that makes it close.

txhunter58

May have been. Hunterstrailhead may have rounded up when they shoulda rounded down?

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom