Unit 444 scouting trip

NJ_CLAD

I'm planning a trip to unit 444 just to look around and get a feel for the area, as I've never been there. Should I bring an ATV, or will I be OK in just my pickup?

Most of that unit is above tree line and possibly wilderness area if I remember right (I could be wrong on wilderness). Not sure what a wheeler would get you there a 4wd truck wounldn't.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

You should be fine with just your truck as long as it is 4 wheel drive. Lots of walk in areas along the South side of Red Table and East of Burnt Mtn. There is one road off of Red Table that you could use a 4wheeler but I have taken my truck down there. This unit has lots to look at.

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

>You should be fine with just
>your truck as long as
>it is 4 wheel
>drive. Lots of walk in
>areas along the South side
>of Red Table and East
>of Burnt Mtn. There is
>one road off of Red
>Table that you could use
>a 4wheeler but I have
>taken my truck down there.
>This unit has lots to
>look at.

What he said. There's also roadless areas east on red table past where the road ends. But south of red table has lots of ground to cover and private in the bottom

fyi, There is also a FS ban on ATV's on many of the roads there. I agree also that a 4-wheeler doesn't do you any good as most if not all the roads can be negotiated with a 4-WD vehicle.

How did the scouting go? Any luck been thinking on what unit to put in for next year, and seen this unit has decent draw odds

I hunted it this year quite a bit and the weather was the big story this year. Real warm temps and full moon during several of my hunts (archery and 1st season) made it real tough. Not sure whether you're interested in deer or elk? I typically do not hunt it for deer any more as they normally migrate out of the areas I hunt relatively early. Draw odds are pretty good for both in general probably because it's not an area with a lot of elk or deer as you can tell from the success rates. Areas that are easy to access get hunted quite a bit as expected. We saw less game than we typically do, mainly because of the weather kept the animals further back and not very active. Great country but just not lots of animals, at least where I typically hunt. For both my hunts there, I didn't see or hear of any animals taken. A friend got a small bull 2nd season opening day which was pure luck as that was all they saw. Might help to post what season and animal you are considering.

>I hunted it this year quite
>a bit and the weather
>was the big story this
>year. Real warm temps
>and full moon during several
>of my hunts (archery and
>1st season) made it real
>tough. Not sure whether
>you're interested in deer or
>elk? I typically do
>not hunt it for deer
>any more as they normally
>migrate out of the areas
>I hunt relatively early.
>Draw odds are pretty good
>for both in general probably
>because it's not an area
>with a lot of elk
>or deer as you can
>tell from the success rates.
> Areas that are easy
>to access get hunted quite
>a bit as expected.
>We saw less game than
>we typically do, mainly because
>of the weather kept the
>animals further back and not
>very active. Great country
>but just not lots of
>animals, at least where I
>typically hunt. For both
>my hunts there, I didn't
>see or hear of any
>animals taken. A friend
>got a small bull 2nd
>season opening day which was
>pure luck as that was
>all they saw. Might
>help to post what season
>and animal you are considering.

I am looking for both deer and elk. And any season as I just love hunting and have both rifles and archery equipment.

While success rates are relatively low, the cpw survey after the 2014 season said there were almost 4500 mule deer in 444, with a buck to doe ratio of 36/100 which isn't have bad in my opinion. Just my .02

Rough roads beat the H@ll out a $60,000 truck or a $5,000 Quad.
"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>While success rates are relatively low,
>the cpw survey after the
>2014 season said there were
>almost 4500 mule deer in
>444, with a buck to
>doe ratio of 36/100 which
>isn't have bad in my
>opinion. Just my .02
>

Elk success may be low, but deer success rates are pretty dang good

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

No. Basically South from Eagle (pass thru unit 44) and East of Glenwood and Basalt and North of Reudi Reservoir.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom