Unit 444

need4x4

I have hunted this unit back before the draw only process. At the time, I was able to access some public with the permission to walk accross private ground and it was a situation that I camped with what I could carry.

I would like to hear opinions on the unit in general for mule deer bucks. Last time I checked it doesn't sell out, so I don't think it is looked at as a great zone.

Anyone hunted it in the last couple of years? I know there was elk in the unit and I imagine some good mule deer.

Thanks for your help. Because I no longer have the access, I am sure it would be a more difficult hunt, but wanted to hear some recent experience.

I've been hunting this unit for over 25 years. I've hunted along Brush Creek Road mostly and in that area, I'd consider the deer hunting very marginal. I did hunt muzzle loader season this year and saw a few bucks but I only hunted the weekends. I do go up there often in the summer and tend to see more decent deer early but they definately tend to move out as hunting season approaches. Of all the years we hunted in that area, we've really only seen a couple trophies. I usually hunt it for elk as I don't consider that particular part of the unit worth it for deer. I used to hunt the area above Ruedi Reservoir and we did see more deer over there and some nice ones. But, we usually backpacked in 3 to 4 hours. I've not hunted other parts of the unit so I'm sure other parts are better than the areas where I elk hunt.

not wanting to hijack the thread, but my buddies are trying to get me to come elk/mule deer hunting this year above ruddi reservoir, what constitutes a big deer up there?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom