Unit 45 Deer

diyidaho

How's it looking this year? With surrounding units on fire it probably will be a good hunt. My 70 year old father drew this tag and i'm excited to get him out and hopefully take a great buck. If anyone has any information on areas that are Senior friendly please PM me. I have been out scouting numerous times and found some great bucks but i'm affraid that the areas the deer are in might be to much of a struggle for my father.

Thanks and happy hunting!

I was in 45 this last weekend and I saw a lot of little bucks but not one good one. I honestly didn't see that many deer at all. Ron

Here's a archery buck a friend of mine got. Reportedly scored 203". Iv'e seen a few others that are pretty nice too but the hunters said they weren't impressed with the hunt. Go figure.

7028img_4874.jpg

I have been hunting it with a good friend of mine that has the tag. We have been up there together on 8-9 different occassions. Each and every time we are seeing great bucks. He is new to archery so it becomes a bit frustrating for him, especially after missing chip shots on several bucks over 180".

At first I thought this hunt was going to be tough in that we wouldn't be seeing many deer, but we are seeing more bucks, big ones, than I ever thought we would.

I wish I had the tag...

Ron,

Did you see the dead buck on the side of the road? Head cut off, 40 yards off Bennett Mtn Rd... Pretty sad, giant bodied deer, couldn't tell what happened but it hadn't been there long. I contacted a CO about it.

I wasn't on the Bennett road side. I was on the bliss hill city road side. I didn't see much over there. Maybe I need to head west. Ron

Muzzy hunters are having a tougher time than past years hunts. But a few nice ones have hit the dirt.

I have that tag. I concur, I am having a very tough time finding good bucks on public land. I had a couple very nice deer spotted and on opening day several elk hunters went stomping up the hill up wind of the deer, coughing and talking. Those bucks were gone in a heart beat.I watched them run about a mile and cross a road and into private land.
I spent all the weekends in September scouting, and the last 7 days scouting and hunting. On this last week trip I walked 38 miles and used my Bino's and spotting scope for hours on end. I saw a couple good bucks but in all I am very disappointed with what I saw for deer and the fact that the elk hunt started the same day didn't help matters any at all.
I remember 20 years ago every where you went in 45 you could see deer. You might not see huge bucks every time and every place, but you could see does and even small bucks without any trouble at all. I am shocked by the lack of deer in general with the weather we are having.
On a side note the number of elk is off the chart. The numbers int he last month have exploded. Ron

I've been hitting it hard since the first, hiking high and low, I've seen two "mature" bucks in 9 days. Two 140-150 class bucks that I have passed were shot yesterday, one in the morning and one right before dark, both within 100 yards of each other.

I'm finding elk all over the place, I know where there are about 80 head with 9 branched antler bulls as of this morning, had a 320-330 class at 60 yards last week, doesn't do much good with a deer tag....lol

Glassing a ton and just not finding them up high, which is where I'm spending the majority of my time, there sure are a load of elk hunters on quads ripping around.

Came down to shower and laundry and will update when I get home, likely next week while I prepare my tag soup. 185" or bust!

Have you been out to see any bucks? I was up for a little over a week and I am planning to head back up tomorrow after work. Ron

>Have you been out to see
>any bucks? I was up
>for a little over a
>week and I am planning
>to head back up tomorrow
>after work. Ron
>

Been hunting them since the first

I hunted Unit 45 w/muzzy a couple of years ago now and we saw Elk nearly every day....in country and a cover type which I had never felt was good elk habitat. Largely just sagebrush flats with limited brush. I thought then that if the ID G&F didn't start clipping the elk herd that the deer pop. would decline.....as it has everywhere I have hunted where elk numbers ballooned.

I posted a while back on the apparent inverse relationship between elk and deer so I hope this isn't a repeat for those reading it. I was involved in range management for years and if a rancher wished to figure out how many cattle he could run on sheep range, the "rule-of-thumb" conversion was 7 sheep AUMs (animal unit month) for every 1 cattle AUM.
A sheep AUM is 1 ewe and 2 lambs. A cattle AUM is one cow and one calf. This conversion depends, of course, on the range condition and type because sheep and cattle prefer different forage and browse species but, in general, the math would work out as follows:

For every cattle AUM (2 cattle) the range would support about 7 sheep AUMS (21 sheep). (Roughly, a ratio of 1 cow to 10 sheep.)

Because I have watched deer numbers plummet in so many areas in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Washington and Wyoming (I have lived and hunted each each of these states) when elk numbers increase even modestly, I believe that a similar number relationship/ratio exists between elk and deer as exists between cattle and sheep. In other words, for every additional elk in the habitat, the number of deer is going to drop by up to 10.

I think this occurs because when an elk and a deer is looking for forage during the critical late winter period, the elk is going to get the bite and the deer is going to go hungry...just a simple function of size/dominance.

When I was a kid, the area south of Lewiston, Idaho, the "breaks" off the prairie down into the Snake River had so many deer every draw in every canyon was a delight to hunt. It was normal to hunt around through the draws and canyons on foot for a day and tally upwards of 40 to 60 deer. There were no elk in the area back then. Today, this area supports a very healthy elk herd but the deer pop is nowhere near where it was BE (before elk) despite years of limited quota hunting for deer.

So lets do the math. The IDF&G estimates that there is about 1300 elk in the unit. This means that 13,000 deer are going missing simply because the habitat can no longer support them from an ecological and social basis.

My grandson hunted for the first time this year. His father came down with a serious illness this year and was unable to take his son hunting...so....to my delight I had the pleasure of stepping in and doing the honors. I live in Northern Idaho. My grandson lives in Southern Idaho so I needed to find an area near Boise to take him. I scouted and found some really great looking walk-in habitat. Great water, great forage, great hiding cover. Just great looking mule deer habitat. However, I was going in blind as I had not hunted the area. We hunted three days and did not see a single deer. I couldn't believe my eyes. It wasn't that we weren't seeing them. There were just so little sign that I the numbers of resident deer is just very, very low. We did see a few elk though and.....we saw lots of evidence that many elk winter in the area. In my opinion, the lack of resident deer in this area is because the area is heavily used by elk during the winter. I talked to a third generation rancher in the area who is in his late 60's. He told me that when he was growing up deer were like rabbits in the area and there were no elk on the mountain. Now, they see several hundred elk on their ranch during the winter and very little deer. So....there you have it.

I moved to another spot that I was more familiar with....the Salmon River Breaks....and my grandson harvested his first deer...a whitetail doe...at 130 yds (.243 w/bipod). Great fun!

So I have a few questions. First, I am familiar with range management and the discussion about AUMs makes sense to me. Also, the social aspect of it is logical. The question I have now is whether or not the change in the predominant species in an area is a function of harvest management (FWP) or just a part of the earth's natural cycle. Are their more elk because Fish and Game changed the management, or just because we are entering a new phase of the cycle? Do both things affect it? The history books tell us that SE Montana was full of elk when the white man showed up. Is that true? Were there less mule deer at that time? Did it change because of increased human influence, or because of its a part of the natural cycle. I like mule deer as much as the next guy, but is the change to elk a bad thing? Just a few things to ponder.
Soup

The change to elk in this area would be an ignorant decision in my opinion. Anyone who's been around here for any time knows the deer used to be thick like rabbits and elk were few and far between. I don't really know if it's a management decision as to why there are way more elk recently but they need more elk tags issued here.

Those elk used to be in unit 43 and winter there. They moved out about the same time the wolves moved in. Call it a coincidence but that is my opinion. Ron

I would love to see a lot of early rifle elk tags in 45. The resident elk herd needs cut in half IMHO.
Make the cow hunt rifle??

Justin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom