Unit 45 Elk tag!

muleymaiden

Yay! I drew a 45 elk tag and need help finding where to go. I just got off the phone with the new outfitter for this unit, he has 2 allocated deer tags left, I thought they had to be drawn, but he can sell them to whoever wants them. Wish I could afford those...Hes seen lots of nice deer, not alot of info on elk for me, can anyone else help out? I need to know a good place to start.

first you have to say sorry for drawing my second choice tag... LOL pm little envelope by my name
early hunt? archery?

Try to get out and talk to some rancher's. Worst they can do is say no. The later hunt they move in from across the highway, you can go up by hill city and get them moving in.

Who is the outfitter? This my old stompimg grounds. Used to be lots of big deer, to find the elk you will need to spend lots of time behing glass and scopes. Try the Davis mountian area if that is part of your hunt, if not head to the lower ranches. If you have any questions PM me Grizz

Thanks for the tips, most of the ranchers that i have talked to wont let people hunt but the few that have gave me permission own property down lower where there arent as many elk but ive seen a few descent bulls. Davis Mtn. ive heard from a few people is a good place with more public ground im gonna look that over pretty good before the hunt opens. The hunt opens Oct. 1 should they still be bugling?{hope so}The outfitter is Springcove Outfitters,Dan Butler has the liscense, his number is 208-320-2671. Ive seen lots of big deer scouting wish I drew a deer tag this year but its my year for an elk, is a 300" bull a shooter in this unit.Anyone know?

Dan is a good guy, you should be alright. His family has been in the area for years. I shot geese on his place years ago. Another area to check is the deer haven area. Elk that cross from 44 will move into this area. If you find bulls in the area they are usually good bulls. Good luck grizz

A friend of mine had the early bull tag last year. Seems to me, most of the decent bulls were killed on private ground. The elk would be down in the alfalfa fields at night, then move back up the canyons before daylight. The landowners knew where the big bulls were, and gave privledged hunters access to them before they moved to public ground. At least that's the way I had it figured. We ended up killing a bull on Davis. They bed in the pockets of quakies/buck brush. The bull we got was about 250. No monster, but we were happy with him. I doubt you'd find much bigger on Davis, as it gets lots of pressure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom