Unit 45 Youth Deer Hunt

wallhanger

Hey guys- we're headed up to the Pecos area for the Thanksgiving youth hunt. My older son had the tag a couple years ago and we had a great time. We didn't see anything big, but the family loved the camping area we found, and we enjoyed the country. I'm curious if anyone up there for the earlier hunts saw any good bucks, or if anyone knows of any big ones taken this year. Just getting kind of excited to get back to the mountains, and hoping to see some bucks I can show my younger boy who has the tag.

-WH

Hey WH,
I was there for the first muzzy hunt in late September. After five days of hard hunting, only saw one buck the whole time, and that deer is in my freezer. Others I've talked to said they are few and far between. Hopefully when you and your son go, the rut will draw them out of the dark timber. Good luck....

Thanks for the update, 12. And congrats on the buck. I hear they got snow up there last weekend, so maybe that will concentrate them a little lower. We're taking the whole family, so we'll have a great time regardless. I'm sure my little guy will be happy if we get a crack at anything, but the old man here is hoping the big guys are running around chasing does.

Where did you guys camp, and how high did you hunt for the muzzleloader. I've kind of been thinking about looking into a backpack muzzleloader hunt there.

WH

Saw a few big bucks last year just couldnt get a shot at them.
We had lots of snow.And the bucks were very leary.A few really good bucks hit the ground every year.My nephew shot this meat buck on the last day of the hunt.

4024jacobs_2013_muley.jpg

This is a great year to have this tag! Usually when we get a snow storm a few weeks before the youth hunt it really brings them out. This last snow storm will definitely help you guys out! Should be a great hunt! Be sure to post your success!

Thanks to everyone for all the responses and messages. I'll definitely share how the hunt goes when we get back. I'm getting pretty excited to be in the mountains already.

WH

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom