Unit 46 Idaho Elk

My daughter drew the December hunt for Elk. I was wondering if anyone could give some starting advice for this area. We live in Utah and have never been to this unit. I am planning on at least one scouting trip to learn the area, more than anything. Any and all help is greatly appreiciated.

Man that hurts. "Never been in the area but have a tag". No offense intended but that hurts every year for those of us that live in the unit and can't draw a dam tag!

Bull or cow? That's a huge unit. U can hunt the diamond A too!! Be prepared. extra tires, fuel, food and gear for a self rescue as you might not see someone else for a few days if your hunting hard. Get OnX and get proficient with it. Download more detailed maps to use offline so u see the small two tracks.

Make a scouting trip and patronize the store in Rogerson, she makes killer cinnamon rolls and their really good people.

Thanks for the info. It's for a Bull. This is her first hunt. I am planning and doing some scouting to learn the roads. Is it accessible with a 4wd truck or do you recommend a SXS? I am assuming camping is the best option as I don't see any where close for lodging. I have been using OnX the last 2 years.

SxS if possible the two tracks can b horrible. Seen some guys camp at the intersection near the airstrip at jarbidge. Same applies for self rescue. Let us know how scouting goes.

When is the hunt? It changes from the early hunt to later. We ran into bulls in a group last year hanging out north of the Murphy's airport in a small pocket of the desert. Lots of miles on the SXS and you will find them. Lots of great bulls out there.

‘ol Gemstatejake drew the December bull this year. I guarantee any info will be reciprocated big time. Also will report all I see and do. Not completely unfamiliar with the unit as I hunted sage grouse down there on occasion many moons ago. Many scouting trips ahead and December in its entirety will be dedicated to this hunt.

My girlfriend got the tag as well been trying too find out how the hunt was last and how people did
‘ol Gemstatejake drew the December bull this year. I guarantee any info will be reciprocated big time. Also will report all I see and do. Not completely unfamiliar with the unit as I hunted sage grouse down there on occasion many moons ago. Many scouting trips ahead and December in its entirety will be dedicated to this hunt.I

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom