Unit 48 and 49 wolves/input

I

IDAbowhunter

I am trying to figure out which unit is better. I am determined to kill a bull elk with my bow this season, and I am split between the two units. Unit 49 has better success rates, and more people, which makes me assume that there are more elk. Unit 48 has a slightly lower success rate, but higher percentage of 6+ point bulls taken. I have heard that the wolves have really hammered the elk in 49. I have hunted in both units, and have gotten close to elk in both units, but I want to maximize my chances of arrowing a bull this year, and the decision between the two units is killing me. I am mostly worried about the wolf impact in both units.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

IDAbowhunter,

I grew up hunting those two units as I lived in Hailey for 20 years. The last time I bow hunted there was about 4 years ago. I didn't find any elk where I have normally found them. The elk numbers are way down in 48. There are wolves in there but the numbers started declining before the wolves really took hold. I've heard 49 numbers are down also but I don't know that for sure. If you can get back into the Little Wood country where the access is tougher you might do alright.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom