Unit 51 Spring Weather

Buzzy

How has the winter and spring been up in this area for the elk herd? I have heard it’s been a mild winter but could use some more spring wetness to meet the full potential of the horns in this unit. Thanks

How has the winter and spring been up in this area for the elk herd? I have heard it’s been a mild winter but could use some more spring wetness to meet the full potential of the horns in this unit. Thanks
It has been a fantastic wet spring with great moisture in the Wilderness area. Outside the wilderness severe drought and zero moisture, terrible.:cool:

Snow pack levels were good. Cant remember the figure on that. I can still see snow on the mountain from my front door. Rain has been a hit/miss. Lot of rain storms up and down low. But its been 5 min rain storms.

Thanks. Sounds like good antler growth conditions in the wilderness area which is where I hope to be hunting!!

More moisture doesn't equal bigger growth. Best bulls i have seen are taken on dry years

I drew a 51-1 tag so we will see. I spent 13 points on the unit and will hunt several weeks if needed to find a trophy if I can (350 or bigger)

Lot of good bulls in that unit. Lot of burnt timber. A lot of time scouting and learning the unit. 350 is a big goal to set. I know a lot of guys that hunt that unit. Half of them road hunt and don't see a thing. Lot of guys ride horses and put a lot miles on and they pull 320 to 360 bulls . Sometimes they do great and other times they fail. Just same typical hunting results

Good luck sir.
Personally, I think most of the best hunting for elk in that unit during the rifle season, is not in the wilderness. But there are some great bulls in that region.
Finding one is the trick.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom