unit 51late bull

Goldberg

If any one has some advise, it would be much appreciated. my son and I decided to apply for this unit, put in separately. He recently moved to Idaho Falls area, but he is still a non-res. Because of his new job, and because I really wanted to have a chance to elk hunt in Idaho again, we both decided that 51 would be a good spot, and by November he will have a few days to spend. I have had some experience years ago with deer in the little lost river area, but that has been at least 20 years.
So wouldn't you know- we BOTH drew!!! any one out there with any tips, specifically- should we go ahead and purchase both tags? or turn mine back to the second go draw? If this is truly a great, once in a lifetime tag, i will try to come up with enough cash to buy both tags(i told the boy i would buy his if he drew, happy d-day!)Never thought in a million years we would even draw one.
thoughts and tips will be greatly appreciated. I think i can get up there at least a couple of times this fall to look around, but don't remember any elk from the last time i was there back in the 80's, early 90's.

So I assume you are a NR yourself since you are concerned about the cost.

The draw odds on your hunt aren't that low, ~25%, so good job both drawing, but those odd's should give you an idea on if it is a once in a lifetime or not.

There were elk in that unit in 07 when I was there, but it is pretty vertical where the elk reside.

Have your son take a day trip from IF, not a bad drive. The ride will give him an idea about the country and how hard the hunt will be. Tip, if you don't know how to bone, learn.

Good luck on your decision.

There are a lot of wolves in the general area and they have eaten (official word disbursed) a lot of elk.

The country is huge and vertical. Much of where the elk spend "snowy" time is private property. No Trespassing signs abound. A huge parcel of the low-lying ground is leased out for the hunting rights........that's the bad news.

The good news is that some of the ranchers are old-time folk and will give permission, if you stop to ask....and they like you.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-12 AT 10:40PM (MST)[p]where are you from goldberg? You sound like someone I know, maybe even related to... Does your last name start with J and end with a couple T's?

Congrats, that is a good unit to hunt. I have had the early rifle tag twice in the last 5 years I was shocked when I didn't draw it again this year :) I have also hunted the unit about 10 years bowhunting so I know the area pretty well, however I haven't hunted it late. PM me if you want some info on the area.

Thanks for the help, fellers! I appreciate it very much! One of my issues besides funds is I remember how steep that country is, and packing meat, boned or not is not my idea of a lazy afternoon! One would be ok, but seems like I have been a lot luckier lately, and two bulls in a weeks hunt on my back sounds brutal! I am from N Utah, so a trip up a time or two is ok. I may try it!!
Lv2farm- ya, cousin, it's me, whitetail huntin' pard!!I asked your dad If MM was where you were getting your info, but he was unsure. Did you guys draw anything?

I talked to Dad and he said Matthew had moved up to Idaho falls so when I read your post I startd putting some of the puzzle together. Yeah Dad and I drew the late buck hunt in Unit 23. We need to go whitetail hunting, or something of the sort again one of these years. I still think of your Goat story from time to time and it still makes me laugh... Talk to you later!

Ron, elk man Dan just offered to share info in a pm, as stated in his message. I'm always happy to listen to anyone who may have knowledge. I'm old enough to know that I don't know much, and probably never will have enough smarts to stay home and watch people shooting stuff on TV!!!!!! Those guys are the real experts!!

A little quality info helps. Your hunt is a decent hunt. I have taken a couple of good bulls years ago. I might try a muzzleloader hunt there this year if nothing else works out. Ron

Thank you guys for all the great info. It is really nice to get some quality help. Was reading on another thread about guys with low post counts asking for help, and not offering anything in return. I've been a regular on here since I discovered it during my time in the sandbox in 1999, but just don't post much!. I would love to help someone out, but my resources and knowledge are not that red hot! Have drawn very few good tags over the years, have no super secrets about getting monster horns regular, and rarely have anything to add to discussions that is helpful or unique. Unless it's about pack goats, then I can give you an earful!
Thanks again!

I can give an ear full in that area my self. Ron

BIG_CR_2-1.jpg

Its true, Goldberg has the best pack goat experience I have ever heard. It had me in tears and about rolling on the floor it was so funny! haha I look forward to hearing about your hunt this fall Goldberg, hopefully dad and I will get lucky this fall too. Thank goodness our hunt is a little later hunt so we can get our farming done first and have plenty of time to do some chasing around in the hills. -Live2Farm

BPK hunter- sent you a PM, thanks for the info!!
Live-to-farm- that goat story is NOT funny!
Idaho Ron- my goat experience may be just a little different than yours!! But- i think that "experience" may be the difference. don't send a city boy out with livestock! goats, horses, llamas, or even puppies. it all spells W-R-E-C-K!!!!

Guys, thanks for all the help you all provided. My son and I have decided to go ahead and purchase both tags. Not a hard decision, cuz I could not live with myself if I turned back a fairly drawn tag!! For those of you who PM'd me, I will be in touch to pick your brains a little more, and to let you all know the outcome. I also found a much younger buddy to ccme with me that loves to take pictures, and can pack half his body weight! So between the three of us, we should have a fine time!

i had to laugh at the 100 pounds joke, cuz it ain't far off!!!!
this guy can't weigh a buck thirty, and really is an "artsy" type. Pretty sure there's no "sweet" side to him. But he has a lot of heart, and not to smart. Hope he's got a sense of humor when he reads this!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom