Unit 52 ELKBUTT WHOOPING...

N

NMHUNTNUTTG

I'm back. Went up for 5 great days of bow hunting elk in my favorite unit with my best friend, my dad.Well , I'll send pics over to Vini to post for me but I'll share a little of the hunt.First morning I hunt an area to the south of 64 that was very productive last time I hunted 52 . Well roads from he back side have allowed everybody with an atv, or 4x4 in and they do use that , alot. Needless to say , no elk or any fresh sign was found.Plan #2 , head over into Cisneros Park where my dad and I both killed elk a couple years ago.Well, plan 2 is no good as there are camps with multiple hunters everywhere , and I mean some big camps too. Jeeps,atvs and the like driving all over from Cisneros over to Broke Off to Lagunitas. I still decide to hunt the lucky hillside. Very little sign was found though my dad find a matching set of 5x5. Back to camp in the dark to eat a good meal and figure out a plan.We spoke to many hunters and it seemed that everybody was having some trouble finding elk. Next morning as we leave camp, I suggest an area right there out of camp, with "no motorized access"....With in 25 minutes and barely enough light for my site pins to show, BAM, elk are found. I set up my MT decoy and my dad sets up down hill. Elk are coming in to my calls from both down hill and up hill , the forest floor is getting pounded and letting us know we are about to have some fun.As many of you know I have killed a few cows with my bow and my family calls me the cow slayer in joking manner.For those that know me I'm pretty funny and like to have fun so this year I told my dad I was no longer the cow slayer, that my new title was the Black death archery ninja.He simple said " um alright" what ever you say.Well dang it if a cow doesn't run right in, and I mean run , not walk fast but run. She locks into the decoy and calls. In less than a milla second I'm thinking my truck is just right over there and gosh darn it , I AM THE COW SLAYER! I draw, aim up the hill, set my 30 yard pin dead nutts and hold my breath and touch the trigger.Welp , that new bright orange crest on my nice arrow is easily visiable as it flies right over her out into the pasture. Yep, The cow slayer missed! But it's all ok, here comes yet another, right past my dad , he passes the shot so I can make right a missed shot. I caw call soft , she looks right at the decoy, and I have just enough time to knock another beautifully crested slick trick tipped missle of the Black Death Archery Ninja! I aim and touch off , great shot line, beautiful, yes, yes, NO! Sunny Beaches , a branch reaches out and grabs the missle/arrow.How could it be???? I have been stripped the title of cow slayer in the family and the Black death archery ninja title is also for sale. We ended up having a great hunt, saw many elk and two nice bulls.The rut is late but it's rolling around, a cold front came in, just a little too late, but a great hunt none the less. As Vini mentioned on another thread , the elk weren't talking a whole lot like in past years but they were there and willing......Vini will post a pic once I get it to him in the next day or so....NMHUNTNUTT

Larry,

Glad you had a great time hunting with your dad. That alone had to be the highlight of the hunt. I was planning to visit last week. Got tied up in the office. Many feel that harvesting an elk is what makes the hunt. Heck no, its about spending quality time in the field with family and friends. Sure it would have been nice to put another elk notch on the Bowtech, however the memories of hunting with you dad will last forever. You will probably sell that bow in the future and the new owner will not know what the nothes mean anyway. Those pics of the hunt is what you will remember and hold near your heart. Can't wait to see them. I will try to call you tomorrow or soon to hear more about the successfull hunt.

P.S. Hope you tied me up a deer for Wednesday. I will be chasing deer with the trad. smokepole. The boys and I too are planning to make some great memories together.

NM,

awesome that u and your Dad had a great time together! it is all about spendin time in the field with big game and family, friends! LOL about Ninja!

my cousins didn't do good also! he missed raghorn maybe 3x4 and they were in elk all time from sept 16 till last night! the elk were only bugle in early early morning and in the dark evening!

they talked to others bowhunters also with no LUCK!!

cant wait to see the pic's!

vinihunt

Larry, sounds like you had a great hunt with the old man. Can't beat that. Plus, you've still got your deer hunt. Can't wait for Vin to post some photos. -Cody

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom