Unit 52 Muzzleloader elk

WapitiDave

Has anyone heard anything about how the hunt is going up there? Are the bulls still talking. Weve got 1 rifle tag for the second hunt and getting excited. Thanks for any replies

WD

Just got back from this hunt....It was very quiet! Hiked up San Antonio Mtn and there were a few bugles there but down lower we heard 2 in 4 days.

I was expecting reports on how the bulls were non stop bugling. Very surprised as that hunt they are usually screaming. I guess we won't be hearing much in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the replies.

WD

I got a buddy who is hunting with his family up in 52 for the muzzy. They were unsuccessful. They heard 2 bugles the whole hunt. They were hunting around the basin.

My little bro has a 51 second rifle this weekend hopefully we can get into some bulls.

is this a typical hunt for this unit? I would've expected the bulls to be at least a little more vocal. Seems like it was an off year, i've only heard of a couple people who were successful.

4 bulls killed from 52...6x6, 6x5 (deformed) and 2 5x5..the bulls came in slients to the calls...
7885bull52.jpg

Nice thick stuff,love those silent bulls. LOL
4 for 4 is outstanding.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

WD-
I heard that things were a little quiet in 52 for most folks. We had an unreal opening morning with bulls calling everywhere on Sat, and a big 6x6 chasing cows all around our drainage just before going into the timber. Sunday it was pretty quiet although we finally got on a big bull chuckling his way up a remote ridge. Monday was decent with early morning bugling, then just chuckles until 10am. We tagged out on Monday with our bulls. All but one group that we spoke with got their bull. The place was a ghost town on Tuesday, as everyone was already tagged out and gone. The big tip I have: Be in position at 6:30am, and be ready cause they'll be pointing their noses into the timber at 7:05am. The evenings were way better. Bulls started coming out at 6:30pm. Warm weather this week can't make it easy. You better get at least 1.5 miles off FR87 or FR93 to be successful. There are no elk near the road system worth shooting. We were 4 miles in on Sunday by path, 2.5 miles by straight line. Go deep, or be dissapointed.
crcountry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom