Unit 53 elk

T

TreeEM

Whats the word on elk rutting activity? Has anyone on here had any success during the muzzleloader season?

The archery season is not over until the 22nd. I was up in the Red River area last Thursday through Saturday. Rained hard every day. We saw quite a bit of sign, but no elk, and only heard a couple of bugles.

Yeah I know when the archery closes. Just curious how things are going. Sorry things arent workin out for ya. Hopefully it turns around for you. Good luck!

My neighbor and his brother were up there and said that on the first day (Sept.1st) the bulls were vocal before dark. They said within a couple of hours the grouse hunters and someone target practicing with a semi-auto shut them up completely. They saw 14 bulls that morning and were able to connect on a 6x6 that evening. The bull came in quiet responding to spaced out cow calls. He said that real young bulls would occasionally bugle but the most they heard were a few chuckles from bedding areas. His brother filled his tag on a 5x5 three days later.

We hunted the last four days of the archery season in the peaks just east of El Rito and west of Cabresto Lake. Was great being in an area with almost no other hunters. We did not see a lot of elk, but the bulls were still bugling quite well. We called in bulls several times, but did not get a clear shot. The groups we saw were pretty small (around 6), but all had cows with a herd bull. We saw several satellite bulls trying to steal cows. Was pretty entertaining watching the herd bulls chase them off. I would agree with cosmic cowboy that the muzzy hunt should be very good.

Well thats good to hear. Have any of you done the muzzy hunt? If so what is your experience. I have always wondered about that hunt but never did it. Curious to know.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom