Unit 53 Late Cow hunt

T

TreeEM

Did anyone kill? I had to hike to 11,000 feet to find them!! And still could not seal the deal. It was a tough hunt for sure.

I didn't.... and found the same issue. I had my 7 year old with me as well and he was not conditioned enough to keep going after them at that altitude and hiking mileage. no snow = high elk.

I kind of made me upset becuase the state changes the time frame alot. I remember when it was in January. And then the end of December and then the first part of it. I thought this was supposed to be a "management hunt". If they feel that the herd needs to slim down why not keep it to a time frame when there is snow and a better chance for an all around kill for those people that purchase the tag. There are those that are not fit enough to travel to the top of a peak to kill. In my mind that would deter them from wanting to hunt in thier home state and its money waisted away. I don't care if it goes to wardens pay raise, its money waisted. As if there is money to be thrown away with the way the economy is.
As you can tell I am very heated about it.

TreeEm believe me our wardens are not paid enough, most of em any how and they are not getting any raises right now. The state is going on it's third year where we are not getting an increase.There are valid points to this , if it's a management hunt then more consistant dates could and should be used and our G&F isn't really known for being game managers, after the Richardson administration it's been more about revenue generated or shall I say mostly lost.But as for the elk being up high , well thats huntin and it's no different than any other years, some times they come down and are easier to find and hunt and others not so.

Yeah I agree and I am not afraid to go that high to get them. I am just trying to be the little voice of the other hunters that can not physically do that or what ever ya know. The richardson deal another topic. But yeah will it ever change? Probably not we hope so but most likely not.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom