Unit 53 or 71-711

JimAnderson

Hello,

I'm looking at branching out a bit this year and trying a new area. I don't know why exactly as I have done well the past 3 years, but I guess its time to do some adventuring. I will be hunting the Muzzleloader season in September.

Anyway, I have it narrowed down to units 71/711 or 53 in southwest Colorado. Unit 53 has more wilderness area, with a ton of high country that looks like it could be good for packing in. 71/711 has no wilderness, but still looks pretty remote, as long as I stay away from the roads/trails. I am in good shape and able to get in/out however far I need to.

I was wondering of anybody has any info on:
* crowds: I can see hunter numbers and it does not look too bad, but still..
*outfitters: Will there be outfitters with horse camps in every drainage?
*opinions on options for a guy going in cold.

I am on the fence in these units with 3 points, so if I do not draw, I'll go back to 7 as usual and see what I can do there.

Additionally, if you have any other ideas for a guy with 3NRPP, I would be open to suggentions. I am not a trophy hunter in the strictest sense, I would be just as thrilled with a small 3x3 as I would with a much bigger buck, so that is something I need to take into account when looking at areas.

Thanks,
Jim

71 in pretty heavily hunted and most of the roadless areas have outfitters in them. The thing that is frustrating there is there are lots of old logging roads that are officially off limits for ATV traffic, but that doesn't stop guys from driving the roads anyway. There are niches where you can get away from roads, but not as numerous as maps make it appear. Haven't hunted 711 much, and I hear it has some roadless areas, but mostly deep canyons, meaning you have to bring an elk back uphill! That and I like hunting the high country.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom