Unit 53 Question

O

okiehunter

I am kind of new to this mule deer hunting and need a little advice.

I have been hunting whitetails for years and know a good ?shooter? for my part of the country. I draw a mule deer tag in New Mexico GMU 53 (around the Red River, NM area) and would like some input on what is a fair, good and great buck for that area.

I don't want to take what appears to me to be a big buck, based on my whitetail experience, only to find out I should have waited for a better buck because of the area I am hunting.

Any input on how big they grow in the GMU and how do I ?judge? mule deer to determine if it's a good un or not.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-07 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]Generally, a mule deer's ears measure about 22 to 24 inches from tip to tip.

Last month, while hiking Wheeler Peak (which is in GMU 53), I saw three different deer with spreads that exceeded their ears. All three were at least 4X4s, excluding brow tines. The biggest was probably about 26" wide and I think had couple of trash points on him. In my opinion, these would be "good" bucks.

I also saw another buck while glassing from the Peak's summit, at about a mile and a half distant. At first pass, I thought I was looking at a bull elk. When I pointed it out to my buddy, he corrected me and told me it couldn't be an elk, because the color was wrong. IMHO, this buck was a "great" buck. It's really all very subjective, but IMHO, a "great" buck starts around the 28" mark, is built like a cinderblock, has a scarred-up Roman nose and face, and carries buukoo mass (I've seen a number of 28" spindely horn bucks that don't qualify as "great").

By the way, in some 25 years of trying, I've never tagged a "great" buck. Maybe this year...

Good luck to you. Hope you have a chance to tag the beast that I was looking at.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom