Unit 54 help

R

rageinthesage

I,m looking for any useful tips on unit 54, I don't know a whole lot about it but there is alot of wilderness area. The hunt takes place in the middle of october for bull elk. We are from northern Az and will be there for five days.Any help would be appreciated Thanks.
Nick

When you say unit 54 i dont think people reconize it.Dang even i had to get out the proc.Ive always known it as Colin neblett(south)

Rage
Crazy and I assume you are hunting on Public ground, not private. If that's correct, than Crazy's correct, you will be on the Colin Neblett South. All the remaining unit is private land.
If we're correct, then I might be a help. I hunted C.N.SO. about 8 years back and got a nice 6x6 bull (one of three together). They were trying to pack on some grub after rut.
It was an uphill climb south. I bagged out about 9 am and my son (he didn't have a tag) and I packed it out to the pavement (Cimarron Canyon) by 7:30 pm opening day.
I had such a good hunt, my son and I put in the next year and were drawn. What a differance a year makes. There was a foot of snow on the ground and the temp was 13 below 0 the Thur. before opening day Sat. All the elk had migrated to the Philmont BSA
Ranch down hill east. All we found were freeways in the snow where they had traveled out.
It's a tough Unit, the mountains are tall and steep. C.N. So.
has lots of north facing heavy timber. (downhill north toward Cimarron River ) The tallest Mtn in NM, Wheeler Peak (13,000+)is only about 12 miles west. Touch Me Not on the C.N. North is 12,044', Tolby in your unit is 11,527'. The weather can change quick, and snow is a possiblity during mid Oct.
There are a few areas that are esier to hunt than most and if I haven't scared you away yet, let me know here and I'll try pm you some time soon with more specific info.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input, we are not going to be able to make it over there for a scouting trips due to my deer tag that I have to scout for so do you have any good starting points or points of interest we should check out, I'm not asking for your secret spots just a little insight so we can fill the freezer and hang another rack on the barn. Look foward to hearing back.
Nick

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom