Unit 54

timoutdoors

Hello everyone, i will be hunting elk in unit 54 this weekend. I was lucky enough to draw the supertag. I was curious if anyone has been seeing any? Also, should i purchase a bear and wolf tag? I don't see anywhere in the regs about bears in 54? Can i legally hunt them? I appreciate any advice or help anyone is willing to give me. I'm just looking for an opputunity to kill a 5 point or bigger bull.

no bear or wolves in 54.

Lots of bulls down near the Id/Nv/Ut boarder. You might also try the upper part of Trout Creek and Trapper Creek. That fire should have pushed bulls in those areas.

Best of Luck with your tag! I would set my goal a bit higher than a 5pt. Not only are you hunting in 54, but you have the supertag! You should have a good time!

Bennett Mtn. is a great place to find a five point bull. If your looking for bigger than you better get on private and even then you'll have a hard time finding a decent bull. They are few and far between, thats a sad fact.

A Supertag creates a lot of indecision on what to shoot and where to hunt. That's a good problem to have though.

I'm guessing many who have had that tag would say to at least hold out until those later hunts near the idaho/Nev border.

If you know you will be happy closing the deal on the first 5 pt you can with no regrets then by all means.....

Good luck, but buy a wolf tag for sure.

> Bennett Mtn. is a great
>place to find a five
>point bull. If your looking
>for bigger than you better
>get on private and even
>then you'll have a hard
>time finding a decent bull.
>They are few and far
>between, thats a sad fact.
>

Never hunted Bennett but by looking at the success rates, %kill and %6 pt+ I'd say odds of a good bull are better elsewhere. If you are limited on time and money, you might just wait until the late season and hit 46/47.

HayZeus hit the nail on the head.. Plenty of bulls in 45, but not very many big ones.. A 280-300" bull is possible, but not much out there bigger than that.

I hunted on private land last year in 45 with Hunt of a Lifetime for a cancer patient, young man, from Georgia. We saw and heard plenty of bulls and we are pretty certain we shot one of the bigger ones. I'd bet he was only 280" or so. Great bull for the young man, but it wouldn't be my go to unit for the Super Tag at least until after a few other units were looked over.

I will probably take some criticism for this but i ended up using my supertag this weekend on an spike. This was my first archery kill and i couldn't resist. When he walked out 10 yards. I saw some huge bulls but just wasn't experienced to kill one. At the end of the day i hunt for myself only and I'm pleased with the animal i took. Thanks to all that helped, i appreciate you.

Congratulations on filling your tag! If what you shot makes you happy then that's all that matters. Getting it with your bow makes it that much better.

Idaho Ron... I'm not pulling anyone's chain... i got lucky and drew. The supertag but only had a few days to hunt. I'm a dentist and my schedule is tough. Also, I'm headed to Africa for a few weeks for smiles for kids foundation. Again, thanks for everyone that helped and the support.. good day

Any pictures? Congrats on an archery Bull. I would love to hear about your Africa trip as my wife and I are going over to adopt soon. PM me if you have time.

DZ

Awesome!

Well, done. No shame in a spike or in using that tag...you did it with a bow, man. Well done sir!

Love your confidence in your decision, and that is all that matters. You will never forget that bull.

I'll second you putting up a pic if you have it.

>Idaho Ron... I'm not pulling anyone's
>chain... i got lucky and
>drew. The supertag but only
>had a few days to
>hunt. I'm a dentist and
>my schedule is tough. Also,
>I'm headed to Africa for
>a few weeks for smiles
>for kids foundation. Again, thanks
>for everyone that helped and
>the support.. good day

A guy I worked with had a super tag one year. He told everyone that he was going to shoot a calf. He didn't even get that done. He only went a couple times. I tried to take him on a hunt down south but he would not go. I thought you were just kidding. Anyway you got to do what you got to do. No looking back now you got one with a bow so congratulations. Good luck in Africa with those kids. That is a noble cause. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom