Unit 55 advice

ToddT

Any advice for the season going on now.

I have been through cabin creek, almont triangle, and the flats east of cabin creek.

Total for the first day, about 10 does.

I was planning to come out on Monday, and hunt the last 6 days, but when the snow came, I drove out, expecting a lot of action - lots of does and little bucks. But as I mentioned, today was as slow as I have ever seen anywhere.

To add to my bafflement, another hunter staying in the hotel I am staying, hunted 66 today and saw 41 bucks.

It is unbelievable. I don't expect to kill a buck, and I don't expect to see big bucks galore, but I would expect to see does and young bucks.

If anyone has any advice, I will try anything, because apparently I have nothing to lose.

Relax it's only the 1st day! It's a marathon not a sprint. I would be hunting the lower end of the aspens. Doesn't matter where in the unit. Remember it only takes one.

My advice has nothing to do the unit but mirrors what others have said. Calm down. Realize it might take a few days. This time of year aspen sage zones hold lots of does and should bring the bucks in. You are in a great unit. Just do the work and you have a good chance of killing a good buck.

I am not sure what the weather has been in that area but I have hunted 55 in the Fossil Ridge Wilderness area off Gold Creek in the past for Elk in earlier seasons and can tell you where bucks have hung out then.

Just p.m. if you are interested and I can tell you what I know.

63Badger

Thanks for the advice.

I agree, it's only been a couple days, and with each passing day it should get better.

My reason for worry, was the fact that the snow and cold came in, and I figured that would have at least pushed tons of doe and young bucks down. And I am not seeing very much.

I saw about 10 doe on Saturday, about 20 doe and one forked horn buck yesterday and about 10 doe and a big 3 point and average 4 point- both were probably around 130 to 140 inches.

But I am working hard to see what little I am seeing.

Todd,
I'm surprised that you are expecting to see ?tons of doe and young bucks? on the winter range during 3rd season in 55. The winter of 07-08 coupled with some of the more recent severe winters has greatly reduced deer numbers in the Gunnison Basin. The forecast for the remainder of the season is calling for temperatures near 50 degrees with sunny conditions. Enjoy the tag and stay vigilant for the remainder of the season as you will most likely never draw it again. Perhaps Tomichi or Coloradoboy will see your post and provide some information.

Normally I wouldn't, I was just expecting the recent, out of the ordinary snow to push all those type deer down, but apparently it is business as usual.

And yes, apparently it will be getting warmer every day, which is making for a muddy mess.

I live close to Gunnison and would not trust the weather reports this time of the year at all most of the time they are wrong They have been for the last several weeks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom