Unit 55 Moose

mac87toy

Can anyone that has been in there much give me some info about the area? My wife drew a moose tag down there. The season starts one month after she is due to deliver our 3 child so any help i can get would be very much appreciated and thank you for your time.

The season is 3 months long, covering 3 units total. Moose are VERY easy if you put the time in. Your competing with 4 other hunters an maybe the ones that drew the super tags. You should be able to catch one close to the roads to make her life easier, but it will probably be a mediocre bull.
I've seen a few people that drew that tag go an hire a guide. What a waste of money. Tell your wife congrats. I've been putting in for the draws an both super hunt draws every year for last 9 years in hopes of that exact tag. One of these days! Congrats on a AWESOME tag. Lucky!

LongRange, thanks for the info. I have wanted to deer hunt that unit during the late archery hunt for years now but have never been down there to look around. I plan on spending as much time there as possible this summer and early fall as i can to find some for her and hopefully shorten the learning curve. Do you live in that area or just know it well? I will probably have an archery elk tag for 55 while I am down there just in case one walks in front of me and it gives me more of a reason to spend all of september down in there. Again thanks for the info.

I saw 8-10 moose 3-4 years ago while deer hunting up on Mt Harrison (I think that was the name of the mountain). Only 2 of them were bulls, but one of them was huge. He was every bit of 40" with huge palms, biggest palms I have ever seen on a shiras, and a ton of pts. I spotted him from the road but it would have been one helluva a pack to get him out of where he was.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

I live in the area and know most of the 3 units this hunt takes in. You'll have a blast an should find her a desent one close to a road. I guided a friends son who was lucky enough to draw it his first year. He only had a day or so to get his moose because he was headed under the knife with shoulder surgery. First morning he dumped a nice one around 42" wide,10x11 I think with great palms. I can't wAit to draw that tag. Keep me posted.

mac87toy- Best advice I'd give you is get a helper who's a knowledgeable local who lives and breathes for spending his every fall and winter out hunting in those units.

The success rate in those units is high, but there's a very good reason that they give out so few tags....the moose population is very low, and they're widely scattered.

You don't want to just take a stab and guess where there "oughta be some moose" or start looking where someone "saw a moose one time". If you use that approach, you'll waste a lot of time spinning your wheels. Find yourself a deeply experienced, no-bullcrap local or two, and get down to business. Good luck to your wife!

we hunted deer there last year and saw a nice bull with a couple of cows, 100 yards from the road, south of elba pass just past the stinston creek trail/road. Jon

I always see a few on the Oakley side of Elba pass on south west side down off the road. I saw a giant bull up off the road on the way up to ski resort just down off of the pullout with the sharp switchback a few years back. Good luck

Jason Yates
MTQuivers

Thanks for all the help from everyone. We appreciate it a ton. She is getting more and more excited after reading all your comments. I hope everyone draws the tags they put in for, only a couple more weeks until hunting season is back.

So what better place to introduce myself? I'm the super tag holder this year. I will more than likely be spending a little time down in 55 ?that's as long as I can keep my ADD under control? lol. Anyway if you are hurting for time and need a place to crash I'll have a pretty big camp set up, you're more than welcome to stay if you want. I will not even have a rifle with me on this hunt because I am dedicated to doing it all with my bow. I'm all about helping each other out I've killed a few moose when I lived in AK and they can be a ton of work. Ill pm you all my info.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-14 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]went up scouting this morning.. seen 1 nice bull ( big spoon er) and three other smaller dudes. wish i had the tag. anyway p.m. me.. could have killed them all with a bow..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom