Unit 56

Rnm5

Hello im Ryan. Im new up north moved to Heber Utah from AZ where I was born and raised in the Prescott area. I wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I also had a question as I purchased a otc rifle deer tag and was looking to hunt 56. Im sure you guys get tired of Utahns coming up but hopefully your good with Arizonans. Im not gonna ask for spots but my wife wants to camp in a couple weeks and I thought why not try in unit 56 so I can poke around a bit too. Could anyone suggest any decent camping areas that are tree'd etc. Sorry for hitting you up but it will be our first time up there. And if anyone needs any AZ advice of even down in the Wasatch area of Utah as im learning it quick let me know and id be happy to help. Thanks everyone
Ryan

Thanks Sir. Excited to see the country up there. It will be new being im use to pines but not as thick but happy to be here.

There are some deer in unit 56 but they are in pockets. Look at Google earth for valleys and basins .75+ mile from any rds or 4wheeler trails. I have never hunted but a buddy did a few years ago and that's the feedback I got.

Thanks a bunch soccerdude. Yes im planning on doing a little backpack hunting in that area so hopefully it will help me some. I appreciate the info.

There are plenty of places to camp in 56. I'm not aware of any established campgrounds in 56 that are in the pine trees but if you are looking for an established campground, Indian Springs, Stone Reservoir or Massacre Rocks have toilets/water and other things your wife may expect but all of them are low elevation campgrounds and not in the pine trees. Indian Springs is a privately owned camping area and I'm not sure if they would be open after Labor Day. For a hunting camp, I would just pick a piece of forest service or BLM land that isn't too far from where you plan to hunt. The "forest" will be different than what you are use to in Arizona but there are plenty of pine trees at the higher elevations of 56 if that is what you want to camp in. I know Arizona can get cold because I did a December elk hunt there a few years ago and my water frozen inside my tent overnight but Idaho may be colder than what your wife is use to for camping in September or October.
Also set your expectations low for seeing many bucks bigger than 2 points. Bucks 2 1/2 years and older in the Idaho general season units have learned how to avoid most hunters or they would already be dead.

Thanks Brian. Yes ive alaways hunted late bull in AZ south rim of canyon and been in some 5 degree hunts there. But makes the bulls move so it is good. And yes ive already came to terms with it being an otc unit that I probably wont see much over forkers but told myself if I find a small 3 im good. If smaller I will pass and just chalk it up to a good camp trip and learning. I appreciate the camp info. Good luck with any hunts this year!

There are still good bucks in every OTC unit but after the rifle hunt opens they can become very hard to find. They are still there but have found ways to avoid hunters. Some have private land they hide on but many of them stay in thick cover during daylight hours and hold tight until after the season closes. If you have time to scout, now is the time. It has been common for me to see 10 or 20 four points a day while scouting in August and by October I'll feel lucky to see one or two 4 points per day in the same area.

Good luck on your hunt.

Wife and daughter got called for elk depredation hunt there like 7 of 8 years ago. We went down after work on Friday we had planned on staying in hotel in snowville. Shot two elk right before dark next to ag field in stone hills. Realized two elk wouldn't fit into the two 100qt coolers we brought. It was August and 90 degrees. Got a flat tire loaded elk drove all way back to Boise stayed up all night get elk boned out and on ice. Kids upset because I told them if we got elk we could go to water park in Ogden. Did see few deer area is dry lots of juniper you'll feel right at home. I drive down to expo show in winter and always deer and elk wintering around those ranches. Fish and game had three ranchers that had participated in that tag they had map and contact list for us. Landowners more than happy to have hunters pressuring elk out of fields. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom