Unit 57/58

matpat

Picked up a second season rifle cow tag for my son for the unit. His first time in Colorado and it's a unit I want to check out for a possible future hunt. Did a ton of research and scoured maps and have a plan to start (up cty rd 12, SW of Waugh Mnt). Looks like a lot of private ground but I have a gps w/chip so I'm not to worried. Does anyone know of a place to fill some water jugs in canyon city and a place that may freeze meat. Any help would be much appreciated.

Figured I would answer my own question on the unit posted earlier and add a little insight into the unit(s). There is a place in Canyon City to fill up with water. It's the shell station next to Big Daddy's dinner on Hwy 50 on the west end of town. Never did find a plaice to freeze meat and unfortunately didn't have to worry about it. Hunted the unit for 2nd rifle looking for a cow for my son. We hunted hard and burnt a lot of boot leather but never saw an elk. According to my gps we put on at the least 6 miles a day. Saw lots of old sign including crap, tracks and plenty of rubs in what appeared to be good county. Just couldn't find them. It was high sky's and warm Hunted high and glassed and also worked north slopes with thick timber and a bit of everything in between. I would consider a GPS with chip a must in the unit and travel wasn't to bad in a standard 4wd truck. If went again would probably bring a quad though as it would be easier navigating rocky terrain. Also very surprised at the lack of hunters. Never saw another hunter in the woods but did see some near and on the road. Did see a good amount of deer but few bucks although one gentleman we met had a very nice buck. In a nut shell...minus no elk we had a great time trying and I'm looking forward to the next trip already

Very honorable of you to post your experience after no response to your post. That's admirable, in my humble opinion.

Thanks Lawrence. Hopefully it's a little info to get the someone else started in the unit(s) if they want to give it a try.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom