Unit 57 Muzzleloader Hunt

Katkrazy

Drew the early November hunt. 1st deer tag I've drawn in 19 years and I never miss applying. Haha.
Anyway, I have lived in Idaho my whole life (45). My buddy has hunted a bit in the area years ago but I never have.
I searched here and it looks like the last good post was 2009-2011 and the consensus was the deer population was down with 160-170 bucks being upper end
Has it gotten better or worse? What class bucks would be ?top end? in this unit now?
Any tips, or info is appreciated.
PM me

im curious as well, i have the early (oct 5) rifle tag.

im going to scout and try to bang one on the opener. Good luck on your hunt.

Travis

Its been a while since I hunted that unit, but the genetics are certainly there for a big bucks. I don't think its a very high density unit, and there is a bunch of high, steep timbered country. The biggest bucks we saw, however, were lower in the unit. Check the east side Access Yes area or the thick juniper patches. There were certainly bucks bigger than 160 in the area.

I live near the unit
Never had the tag
That unit has 190"bucks
Old timers around here talk highly of it

I hunted it a little bit in 2014 on the late muzzy hunt. Ended up killing my buck in 55. My partner shot his buck in 57, though. We never saw a buck over 175? in 57. Mostly 160? type bucks with the does. It looks like big buck country and I'm sure there are a few around.

We came in from the South end of the unit. Lotsa good country. Don?t over look the burns (cheat grass country).

I would think that hunt is super weather dependent I believe it starts the day after the rifle ends. It's not a huge mountain but if you get some rutting activity I think it could be a really fun hunt.
But I would not hold out for a 190 if I had the tag.

Thanks to all who replied. We are headed down there in a couple weeks. Not so much to look for sign or deer, but to put some miles on the ATVs and get the lay of the land.
Anyone else with past knowledge of the unit willing to PM me, please do so.

Anyone been out in this unit so far? We have scouted and have possible private land access. Anyone with info? I'm getting excited for a Nov hunt.

>Anyone been out in this unit
>so far? We have scouted
>and have possible private land
>access. Anyone with info? I'm
>getting excited for a Nov
>hunt.

Pm sent

just got back from the rifle hunt. it was brutal. seeing lots of deer, maybe 70/ day but no quality bucks at all. few small 4 points but nothing i wanted to shoot. hopefully the muzzleloader hunt brings out the big ones, because i know the rifle hunters didnt shoot them all.
Travis

Thanks Orion. We head down day after tomorrow for 11 days. I sent you a PM. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom