Unit 60 2nd deer

muzzhunter

I drew this tag as a second choice, was planning a scouting trip for late July but broke my foot and had to have surgery. I've been out of work and probably won't be able to make a scouting trip before the hunt due to financial constraints. My question is, without knowing the area do I have much of a chance at finding a mature buck? Not looking for a trophy, just a big 3 or decent 4 point. I'm hoping my foot should be healed up enough by then that I'll be able to do some hiking around. Probably not like normal, but probably can get a mile or so in I'd hope. Any help or advise on the unit would be a major plus. Thanks guys!

We went 3 for 3 on the 2nd season unit 60 mine in the middle.

929trio.jpg

Looks like your buck has EHD.. Gnats get in their willie and shrink thier boys and they loose all hormones and will to rut. Hence the velvet. Seen a couple in Unit 21 this year as well. Pefectly fine to eat. Hard on the deer.

Todd

Noticed the same thing in 21. Saw about a half dozen with velvet yet.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

>Noticed the same thing in 21.
>Saw about a half dozen
>with velvet yet.
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling up anyway."

I talked to Terry and he said its with real bad drought years and when the gnats get bad, just like they were this year. Nothing can be done about it. Just needs to run its course.

Todd

Gnats we're awful this year. Just hope the damage isn't to dramatic since 21 is still recovering. I suppose with the back to back dry spells this just compounded the problems. I guess if the disease won't get um the gnats would drive um insane. I just hope with the late summer and fall rains the disease is washed away.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom