unit 61 archery

Wish I would of opted for that years back...I committed to the muzzle gig and am now at 21 pts it appears. Good luck to ya. Wish you the best.
Riggo

Thanks alot.
I also started out for muzzeloader, but after 16 yrs I started thinking bow tag. I drew it once about 3 years ago, but could not go because of health promblems. I tried this year and got it.
Thanks again, Ron

Hey Riggo
I plan on sending the whole season in 61 or as long as it takes to get a good bull. next year I can maybe tell you the hot spots, hopefully. I know at 64 I won,t draw it again
Ron

you will not be disappointed with that tag !! I had the same one 3 years ago it was awesome !!

I hunted 7 days and was in elk the whole time! Saw bulls everyday , 2 studs and many in the 270-300 range .ended up killing a good 6x5 ,by far the best hunt I have ever been on. From my lookout one morning I counted over 50 bugles before daylight. Let me know if I can help you out my son and I are headed up there this weekend to ride 4wheelers.

R270
Gongrats on your bull
It really sounds like you had a great time.
I was thinking of going out the 1st 2wks, before the muzzy season
What do you think? But I can go anytime.

Thanks
Ron

r7 CONGRATS,
I'M STILL HOPING I DREW. THE ONLY STATUS I CAN FIND
SAYS PENDING. THATS EVEN AFTER FOLLOWING THE ABOVE DIRECTIONS.
LIKE YOURSELF I HAD 18 GOING IN.
JOHN

Hey 08, In regards to timing, I took a week in 2011 and went in the middle of muzzle season and spent 6 days staying out of the way just looking things over. I was impressed with the rut action then and I wouldn't be afraid of going when u desire, I think theres not many muzzle tags in comparison to land area. The thing I wasn't prepared for was the all the other bikers, hikers, bear and deer hunters and campers in general. I have decent notes on my findings so give me a pm and we'll talk it over. Be glad to help in any way I can. Best to ya
Riggo

Congrats! I had an archery deer tag last year. Hunted the first week and the elk were going nuts. seen about a 330 bull push about 20 cows 100 yards from divide road. Seen lots of elk. I had 18 elk pts going in this year but decided not to put in. If I can help let me know, dont know the mountain real good but do know about the area I hunted. Good luck!!

Congrats! Very Jealous...I doubt I'll ever catch that tag!

I heard from several that the rut activity is absolutely phenomenal. If I had that tag I wouldn't worry too much about the ML guys. There simply are not very many tags for that size unit.

Good Luck

Congrats, you will have a great time. Great hunt and fun unit. I have hunted deer in the unit seven years ago and then last fall with my son. I started putting in for deer in the unit because I planned to get to know the unit for elk once I have the points. Now sitting on 19 and hoping in the next year or two. I will also be in the unit on first elk rifle this year with two hunting friends that drew this year. Best of luck and post up the photos of a big one after your success!!!

My dad drew archery too. We are local so we will have plenty of scouting time and will be hunting the whole season. R270, if I remember right I talked you about your hunt and you are local too? Good luck guys, hopefully you all tag out with good ones. It should be fun. Ive hunted first rifle twice but it will be fun chasin em over there during the peak of the rut.

Finally its going to be my turn to chase bulls on the big "unc"
Started putting in when I was in my prime now I am a senior citizen... I hope it will be worth the wait!

>I hunted 7 days and was
>in elk the whole time!
> Saw bulls everyday ,
>2 studs and many in
>the 270-300 range .ended up
>killing a good 6x5 ,by
>far the best hunt I
>have ever been on. From
>my lookout one morning I
>counted over 50 bugles before
>daylight. Let me know if
>I can help you out
>my son and I are
>headed up there this weekend
>to ride 4wheelers.

Hey 270 did you get my PM I sent you?
I was wandering what you saw.
Ron

Looks like next year should be my turn.
Had 18 points this year and 14/21 drew tags in my pool that should be enough cushion to get it done.

Tough luck oilcan we were in the same point pool.Keep in touch and I will let you know what I learn this fall.

Congrats! Long time to wait for a tag. Should be a fun hunt for 300-330 type bulls. I had two friends who hunted it last year. Lots of elk - few monsters.

I hear you OILCAN. I'm right there with you. 19 points and a refund check for myself also. I plan to be in unit #61 this fall on first elk hunt with two hunting buddies that drew. Help them out, use as a scouting trip and enjoy spending time in the unit. Hopefully within the next year or two!!!

Last Weekend: didn't get any decent elk pictures, just rumps etc. I saw one really nice buck.

Dang bears were thick on the bench I chose to explore this weekend. It was hard to avoid stepping in bear crap.

Ron,

Never a blonde one but lots of cinnamon. Oilcan, I don't know about bear tags, never had the interest. Best check CPW's website.

Bears are extremely thick in 61. Last year all 3 weekends scouting for deer we had bears come in or right by our camp. saw 3 at one time down Mailbox and saw around 15 all together. only saw a handful during the hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom