unit 61 bear?

B

bldrbuck

I'd like to hear from anyone who has hunted any big game in 61 recently about the black bear hunting--numbers of bear, size, coloring, opportunities, and any success rates would be great. Seems like I always hear about the bear hunting through elk hunters on this site and on this unit, anyone who actually hunts bears on it? Looks like it takes 6 pref. points to draw the tag.

Thanks!

When I had my archery tag in "08" I ran into a resident bear hunter. He asked me where my gut pile was. Told me that was common way of hunting them, there. I told him but also told him my meat was still hanging there. When I went back to get the meat the next AM, he hadn't been there yet.

Not sure how that story worked out.

Myself and a couple guys in my party last year saw some bears that looked like yearling steers out there. I don't think i will wait 6 years to hunt bear but there are some big ones out there.
JC

That area is infested with bears. I hunted elk there in 2010 and saw numerous bears during that season. Sign everywhere. There was an excellent acorn crop this year so they didn't bother any of our meat. I know a guy that hunted elk in 09 and he had to leave his kill overnight. Bears demolished his elk that night.
Lots of color phase bears in the area. Probably more browns and cinnamons than black. Only one I shot there was in about 1980. Small sow that was a very light brown. Beautiful animal.
Good luck!

Thanks for all of the replies, it sounds like a guy could have a great hunt and get some elk scouting done too! I haven't been back in that country for 11 years now...Might be time to dump some points!

Thanks again,
Alex

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom