Unit 61 Deer/Elk Combo

Zim

Very Active Member
Looks like I got the NR points to draw both a unit 61 mzl deer tag (15) and 61 archery elk tag (25) next year. It seems these hunts overlap. I normally don’t like doing combo hunts, but since this is the same unit, it might be convenient. So would like to get some opinions especially on the deer part of this potential combo. Do you think this would be too much? I would have the time to spend all September there.

Have discussed doing a combo rifle elk/deer with my buddy. We decided to concentrate on one or the other. Gives us the chance to hunt the same unit more often. The more often you can hunt a unit the more you learn about it. Anyway that was our decision.

You better get on it before the game department screws you over again right?
Always a risk of point devaluation in every state’s schemes, especially to outfitter welfare lobbyists. But a bigger motivation for me is one of my sons just accepted an IT job in Fort Collins. So it would also be an opportunity to visit my only grand-daughter. Time to burn my Colorado points.

Last edited:
OK well just got a nice surprise. My HQ just informed me they will be flying us out to Denver for 3 days software training the week of September 13th. So I'll be able to get a nice paid-for scouting trip in right in the middle of the 2021 season. And no tag this year to be distracted by. Got 3 months to plan and decide. Pretty convenient!

I would not do both same year. I would also probably go elsewhere for deer in Colo. Have hunted elk in 61 and have not hunted deer in 61.

Find some guys with a LOT of knowledge of Deer in Sept in 61 and pick their brains. I realize that is the very purpose of your post...hopefully guys in the know pony up great advice.

I will be hunting 61 for elk on 5 different occasions for myself, wife, and 3 sons in next several years. Have hunted it 3 times for deer and once for elk already for myself and with friends.

I would concentrate on elk myself. In my opinion there are better units at this time for deer with 15 points.

Keep us informed and reach out once you drew.

Do the elk the first year, and if you like what you saw from a deer perspective you can then make a decision. Me personally would not spend my points on the same season in the same unit in the same year. Just not enough time in the season. Focus on killing one quality animal.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom