Unit 61 Deer&Elk

Thanks for your reply,i was looking for a little more input.Which one is then?

I would put it up there with some of the best units....most people don't like it because it's steep and thick..but that may be the reason it could hold some of the biggest bucks in the state..It scares most hunters away because they actually have to be in shape and HUNT the unit for the big boys.

Thanks for the in put,saw some pics of nice bucks&big bulls that came out of there,down toward the southern end.

Maybe, maybe not!!! However, I hunted it for deer two years ago and it was a great fun hunt. Three hunters and three bucks over 28 inches wide (28", 30" & 32"). 150 4x4s, 50 - 24 + wide bucks and seven that you know you wanted the minute you spotted them. I maintianed points that year above the minumim it took and now have five, wife and seventeen year old son has six and twins have three. This is the unit I will be going back too!!!

oilcan i agree!I know where there are some 30" bucks in this unit & after next year i will share where they are if they are their when i get done hunting.........

The success numbers were very high in 61 for bulls in 1st season, 2007. 73%! I started applying in 1997 (missed two draws) and finally drew a tag for the 2008 season on my 10th year. Scouted the area in July - Beautiful elk country! I have a friend who took a 350+ monster in 1996 and I hope another is waiting Oct 11th

SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT HUNT. IS YOUR BUDDY THAT SHOT THE BULL IN 96 THE ONE THATS HUNTING AGAIN IN OCT.? BEEN TRYING TO DRAW FOR ARCHERY BUT NO LUCK. ONE MEMBER OF OUR PARTY IS TURNING 70 SO WE MIGHT SWITCH OVER TO THE RIFLE HUNTS NEXT YEAR WITH A BETTER CHANCE OF DRAW.LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING HOW YOU DO.
SIMO42

No, he lives in Cody, WY now. I'm actually the one hunting in the area this year - finally!. After he brought home that big one I figured I better start applying in the area. He only needed 3 or 4 pref points back then but the point requirements have been creeping up every year. My step father and step brother each drew with 7 points but it took me 9 for some reason. For the past few years there have been about 1600 to 1700 people applying and success has been 6 to 7% - only 130 tags for the first rifle season were issued this year. The DOW is specifically managing it for Bulls and its even been referenced in some publications. I'm about as excited as can be!

Good luck with your hunt! I'll let you know how it goes for sure.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom