Unit 61 Speedgoats

blacktailBC

Well I beat 1 in 45 odds and drew one of 2 random tags for 61. I really didn't expect to draw. Anyone hunted it before? I am probably looking for an 80" goat or better, since I have a few smaller. I have hunted 64 and 63 before, so I know a little bit about it. Any help is appreciated, pm if you like. Those little buggars are sure hard to judge!

If yer looking for 80 or better, you may've picked the wrong area. The previous winters big snow's took a toll on goats in 61. The G & F cut way back on the tags last year and this year to low herd numbers. Year before last I had that tag. I spoke with two biologists right after they completed their summer counts and both said they didn't see anything that made B & C. Doubt things have improved much. I drive to Rawlins weekly and am not seeing the numbers I used to. May take another year or two before things start improving in 61.

My wife and I hunted there in 2007. We spent six days mostly in the Northern half around Sooner Reservior, Bairoil, Chicken Springs Area. In that time I'm guessing we saw about 150 different bucks and killed one of the larger we saw. It scored around 77". We may have seen a couple slightly larger but I honestly don't think I saw an 80 incher the whole week. It was about as fun a hunt that I have been on with the sheer numbers of antelope and zero hunting pressure. We went mid season and saw only a couple of oil rigs and no other hunters all week. If the real whoppers were there we never found them. Still hads lot of fun though.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom