Unit 61 vs. Unit 21 Archery Deer

inarcher

Good day.

Pretty well had my mind made up to apply for an archery mule deer tag in Unit 61 for early September. In the past week, I've had two different people tell me to consider Unit 21 instead.

I have the points for both. 61 is actually a slightly tougher NR draw for archery. I like the fact 61 has very limited deer and elk hunting pressure.

What do you guys think? I've never set foot in either unit. Planning my hunt for ten days on both sides of Labor Day weekend. Will have camp on my back most of the time.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

Go with 61--better trophy quality, more accessible public land summer range, more deer, easier hunting... Have these people hunter either/both units? Now that they take similar points the choice should be easy.

You'll feel pretty silly in 21 with your camp on your back. The deer summer in a small area and that area is covered with roads. If you get into the roadless areas you'll be lower than the deer, at least the bucks.

I believe both guys primarily rifle hunt in and around Unit 21.
That was one reason I questioned the advice. I figure they are likely hunting much lower elevations than I would be in early September. Thanks for the input!

Hello, I hunted 61 in 05 for deer and was blown away with the number of elk hunters. Wives, kids, aunts and uncles, huge camps full of elk hunters. Granted, you as a bow hunter won't be hunting exactly the same areas, however; your going to have lots of company. That said, it's a huge unit and plenty of room to get away from high traffic areas. Look for the big canyons away from the roads and you should do fine. Stay off the divide road! Have a good hunt, I'd go back in a flash.

SourKraut,

Which side of the Divide Road are you thinking about? On the 61 (west) side you won't see many hunters period. Me thinks you got your units mixed up.

Beanman

Ditto Bean. I hunted 13 days last year and only saw hunters on the road. I only hunted within 2-3 miles of the Divide road 2 hunts but didn't see anyone, or people tracks.

Archer, there are some canyons south of the Nucla to Divide raod that have BIG bucks. If you do 61, I'll help you as much as I can although I elk hunted the unit, not deer.

Inarcher I feel your pain. I am in the same boat as you and
I have been talking to people for the past two years about
21 archery. Half say it's the best archery hunt anywhere
and the other half say you will not see a deer that time of
year. They all say once MZ season comes the deer are there.
I live to far away and cannot afford a scouting trip but
to say I'm confused about this unit is a understatement.

I bow hunted 21 last year.Anyone that says you will not see deer is blind as a bat. This unit is LOADED with bucks, and some good ones too.I also disagree with the statment about silly to carry your camp on your back. The best spots need to be hiked into to hunt them effectivly. Feel free to PM me for detailed info.

Carlos just nailed it--there are deer every where in this unit. Also, with this archery tag you are able to hunt units 21, 30, and 31--30 and 31 espcially by Douglas and Baxter passes are the summer hang outs for all the migratory bucks that end up in 21 for the later rifle hunts. In 2007, 41% of archers connected on bucks in unti 21--only 31 % (which is still really good) connected in 61 on bucks--both units are tied with 13 P&Y entries in the last 10 years--granted those are the only ones entered and many more P & Y bucks get killed every year.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-09 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]You can't hunt 31 on a 21/30 tag.

NicJ1980-You're right--only 21 and 30 which still puts you where you need to be for that hunt. It sounds like you have some experience in 61. Tell me about it. I hunted 62 about 10 years ago when I was living in Grand Junction and really liked the unit--I really like the entire Uncompahgre area. I'm thinking about buring my elk points on 61 just maybe--is that worth it?
Thanks for clearing that up.

I have hunted unit 21 twice and shot very nice bucks both times

there are a lot of deer and you should have an excellent hunt.

Good Luck
Bullmania

I dont know anything about 61 but I bowhunted 21,30 last year and it was awesome. Saw shooter bucks every day, put on 2 or three stalks every day, found me a little honeyhole that nobody else was hunting in and had a blast.
Killed a pretty, hard horned grey 5x5 on day 12 of hunting, would go back in a minute.
In fact im thinking about a landowner tag this year to see if I cant close the deal on one of the monsters that got away last year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom