Unit 62 question

theox

Very Active Member
So my group has hunted a lot of country the last 2 days and aren't seeing any sign of deer like not even tracks. Saw a few does tonight but tracks and sign are very very scarce.
We have hunted the following

Transfer road
Shavano valley
Sims Mesa
Rim road

Divide road
We hunted around
Snipe pt
Brushy ridge

What are we doing wrong
I've never in my life seen so much country void of deer.

Welcome to the club! I am hunting unit 41/42 and have seen 3 does the last two days. I am not only frustrated but baffled by the lack of deer. Sorry I have no info for unit 62. How many points to draw that tag?

It's weird it's not the lack of seeing deer that has me bothered but lack of sign. No tracks no poop just nothing. Its baffling for sure.
It's like there isn't any deer on the unit.

I hunted 2nd season and had the same problem. I always hunt Snipe and Brushy area and see several bucks but never saw a buck this year. I know one guy that had scouted 5 bucks on Dominguez ridge right before the opener but saw nothing after the season opened.
I also visit camps since so many people are just hunting elk but almost no one was seeing bucks.

Was there first elk season. Saw the best buck on Long Point road about 200 yards west of the hill with the forest service marker, Had 4 good points on one side and long curved spike on the other, about 28 inches wide. Saw two bucks 18 to 20 wide about 300 yards north of the cattle guard that's on long point. They came out of the canyon west of the fence, hopped the fence and fed across that big open meadow on the side hill.

Saw a nice 4 point on the west side of Snipe mountain just after you turn the corner to leave Brushy standing in the middle of the road. Also saw three small bucks in the sage flats just before you get to that small A-Frame cabin that sits in the valley.

Never jumped or saw a deer while I was hunting, all the deer I saw were from the road.

How are you BCDEER? The Kaibab was good to me. I did have to hunt hard. On day eight I killed a 194 2/8 4x4 w/no brows, good mass. I missed a monster though. Driving to sit on some water at about 2:00 the buck was on the side of the road about 80 yards off in some sage. By the time I got out of the truck, took scope cover off, jacked one in he was on the run straight away from me. Thought I hit him with my first shot but never could find any sign that I did nor did I ever find that buck again. Sat on the water for 2 1/2 more days thinking he might show up there but never did. Stayed out of burn since it was so crowded and it seemed like the deer were moving off the top. 62 was a big disappointment for us. I did see that someone killed a monster buck. I was dropping my son off at private fence line on 408 so he could hunt back to camp middle of day and saw the buck in camp while guys were taking pics. By time I got back to them they were gone. Nine of us, 1 small buck and 2 bulls killed. One bull was a 333 six point. Killed off Black Point. It had been hit on its back right side by another hunter a day or days earlier but was still in good shape. One of it's brows was only 3" long. Son had opportunity to kill a bull and missed as you know. I saw 2 big shooter bucks Wed. evening before season never to find them again. Won't be going back to hunt bucks 62. Somethings up there. Had several friends hunting 3rd with same results. Take care. kp

I tried to find you before I left to keep in contact so thank you for tracking me down! Great job in Az ! You guys got a nice Bull !
I'm very disappointed in 62 deer myself. I may do the first season Bull hunt next year depending on what I draw elsewhere. Good job once again and keep in touch!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom