Unit 62

JSTWIG22

Will be hunting in Unit 62 , the second mule deer rifle season and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about that unit and any suggestions where one might find a nice buck. Looking only for a 170 or better , are there any there? Thanks for the information.

JSTWIG22, About two months ago, a fellow MM author wrote that unit 62 in Colorado was the 'most heavily hunted unit in Colorado for bow hunting.' More bow hunters hunt 62 than any other unit or at least according to this fellow's post. I suppose his information was correct. I don't remember if the author mentioned deer or elk hunting. Good luck to you on your mule deer hunt in 62. CowTag

I have hunted this unit a couple years, the statement about the number of hunters was referencing elk bowhunters according to DOW statistics.
I would start on the north end if looking for a big buck, get up where you can glass and wait. You can waste a lot of time on the southern portion but I don't think you will find the caliber of buck you are looking for down there. More of 160 class bucks down there IMHO. The central portion gets hit the hardest every year. The deer hunting is limited all the way around, so you should be able to connect. Last year I passed on 30 bucks, hunting until the next to last day and took a 155 class buck in this unit. That was the biggest I saw in the southern portion so I am just going by process of elimination. The bigger bucks are taken here every year, but you have to know where to look. I would say it is very important to get there at least a couple days early. For second season, the first and last hour of daylight is definitely the most productive when glassing. BLM land was the key last year, very few deer up high could be found. Good luck. Hopefully I'll be ther next year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom