Unit 63

S

sealer

I haven't reviewed all draw results but was completely surprised that me and 2 other guys didn't draw on the NR-Special this year.

We didn't apply as a group this year yet none of us drew on the Special with two points.

I know the past few winters have been tough but 63 generally doesn't require NR-Special with two points...we do the Special because it's a fun unit to hunt and we enjoy planning a super experience; not because we'll shoot a trophy.

We love going to WY to glass great speed goats (and potentially harvest) but I'm speechless this year.

I'll never be "anti-WY" as I'm sitting on 7 pts in CO and may never find the hunt I want in CO but I was just looking for intelligent feedback. After all, I have a great antelope neighbor state to the north.

BTW - I was 0-everything (sounds like my 1st year in HS Baseball) in CO this year. 2014 will be a great year for my business interests but not my hunting interests (ouch)

"Born in Wisconsin; live in Colorado; lay to rest in Wyoming (but not this year)"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-14 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]I guess you're surprised because you didn't read the draw odds properly, as that unit doesn't have very many tags issued and the stats show that it's been taking more than 2 PPs in either draw to get a tag in previous years. It sure won't get any better with PP creep and tag cuts being made, as happened this year in a lot of units!

TOP,

I'm sure you're 100% correct. I'll never say I can read the WY odds properly.

The point creep issue has killed me as a CO resident for all species but I never expected it to happen in WY for NR-Antelope-Special outside of the "big" units.

I hunted 63 with zero points on the NR-Special a few short years back (2010 or 2011)and had a great hunt.

Thanks for your input...that gives me a better feel for 2015.

With regards to your reply, are you saying the extra ~$500 for the Special doesn't really come into play with WY G&F?

That would make me think twice about what units I apply for...or it should.

"Born in Wisconsin; live in Colorado; lay to rest in Wyoming (but not this year)"

The days of hunting 63 with no points ended when the mags pimped the unit. The points shot up and will take a few years to come down, but combined with tag cuts and increased interest, they may not be coming down at all. Hopefully the tag cuts allow the unit to rebound some from the last few years of too many tags.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-14 AT 07:51AM (MST)[p]>TOP,
>
>I'm sure you're 100% correct.
>I'll never say I can
>read the WY odds properly.
>
>
>The point creep issue has killed
>me as a CO resident
>for all species but I
>never expected it to happen
>in WY for NR-Antelope-Special outside
>of the "big" units.
>
>I hunted 63 with zero points
>on the NR-Special a few
>short years back (2010 or
>2011)and had a great hunt.
>
>
>Thanks for your input...that gives me
>a better feel for 2015.
>
>
>With regards to your reply, are
>you saying the extra ~$500
>for the Special doesn't really
>come into play with WY
>G&F?
>
>That would make me think twice
>about what units I apply
>for...or it should.

***I guess I don't quite understand your comment/question regarding the G&F statement. The statute requires 40% of the NR tags to go to the special higher priced draw and 60% to the regular one after the first 75%/25% split for the tags is done in each unit. Normally, but not always, the higher priced draw will have better overall odds of drawing with a lower number of PPs and many people think that by spending that extra money they will be assured of a tag. The falacy of that thinking is that there are fewer tags issued in that draw and it doesn't take too many extra people with higher PP totals to put in for it and screw the stats up when it's a unit with few total tags to begin with. As mentioned earlier, the draws in a certain unit can really be influenced when Eastmans and/or Huntin Fool start talking about it and bingo, you have what happened to you when several years ago you got that tag without too much of a problem. Now even if you keep buying a PP and putting in for it in the higher price draw it could be several or more years before you draw it again because of people that have been holding PPs now entering the draws and creep itself involved.

2012 was the last year 2 would get a 63-1 Special tag. It took 4 points this year so with 2, I would look for a different unit.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-14 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]Hunted 63 3 out of the last 5 years.Fun hunt but there ain't no way this hunt is worth 4 points. Just don't see it. Better units to be had with less...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

this unit used to be a good unit prior to the type 2 tags being given out. when I hunted this unit every year it was a 80% draw, but when the addition of the type 2 tags came I quit putting in.I knew they would over kill the unit and ruin any current trophy potential. I killed a 83 6/8 gross in 09, and haven seen one in the unit anywhere close since.

Everything is pretty much great for drawing Wyo antelope tags until a tough winter, drought, and/or predators start impacting fawn survival and herd numbers....and the WG&F starts cutting tags. When this happens for several years you can imagine what happens. The same thing has happened in Colo with muledeer. The unit I muley hunt in Colo used to only take 1 or 2 pref pts to draw with over 100 tags issued. The past 5 years they have only issued 10 tags. Obviously it will take 10+ times longer to draw these tags!

Unfortunately tags in central and south central Wyo have been cut in about 1/2 the past couple years so demand has increased. With about 1/2 the tags it obviously will take twice as long to draw a tag..if not longer! Even if they increase tags in 2015 it may take a few years for pref pts draw odds to improve. If you are willing to apply for units further north there are a lot more tags available in some of those units.

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope there aren't severe winters and/or drought so the WG&F issue more tags.

Is that buck plus doe cuts? That's a lot of $ the WG&F won't get from 12,000 tags...and a bunch of unhappy applicants!

As much as I love hunting pronghorn in Wyoming, the tag cuts needed to happen, some units like 63 needed it more than others. Hopefully it helps the population recover.

If nothing else, it's a good reminder of how precious our hunting opportunities are and to never take them for granted. Treat every opportunity with respect and appreciation.

Eel

>If nothing else, it's a good
>reminder of how precious our
>hunting opportunities are and to
>never take them for granted.
>Treat every opportunity with respect
>and appreciation.
>
>Eel

You got that right!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom