Unit 64 Archery/Muzzy Hunters

Flatlander

I wanted to reach out to anyone who might be archery or muzzle-loader hunting in unit 64 this September. I was lucky enough to draw a moose permit for this unit and will be hunting Sept 28 - October 9. If anybody would like to exchange info about moose I will be happy to share info for anyone chasing elk/deer. Since I will be camped alone for most of the hunt anyone who wants to stop by camp or meet up is more than welcome.

We were up scouting in July and I had forgotten how much moose country is in this unit. We looked all over, high and low and I am getting really excited about the upcoming adventure. The guys at Mountain archery were very positive about the hunt and that really has my hopes up for a fun experience.

One thing I have been trying to figure out is how to arrange some horses or pack out help if I put one down in a tough spot. For most of the hunt I will be solo or with my 10 & 11 year old sons. I have packed lots of elk, I have an atv and I am in good shape but I know I need a good plan if I want to be able to hunt all the country.

Good luck and I look forward to sharing the adventure with everyone.

Our moose are no heavier than a big bull elk, just larger bones and awkward. Hide is thicker and twice the hair, get it off quick to keep from spoiling meat. Bone them out and they pack just fine. Your boys are big enough to help with 20# or so. You'll see most in the first and last hour of the day; Sept is still pretty warm for them. Your timing will be good for the start of the rut.

Since they logged off the State and Forest up on Windy Ridge for the last couple years, I would spend a lot of time driving the wood roads up there. Might see some big ones in Kirkham Hollow, or driving up on top of Relay Ridge. Good luck.

My wife had that tag last year. She killed an absolute giant with her bow Sept 1st. The mountain archery owner has a lot of private land in that unit. PM me for more info. Are you a non res?

How have the archery hunters been doing? I have heard the elk hunt is tough but the moose are rutting pretty good.

Any muzzleloader hunter?s getting ready to head out in just over a week?

Looking forward to an adventure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom