UNIT 65

YukonDall

Long Time Member
ANY OF YOU FELLAS EVER HUNT ELK IN UNIT 65 ???? THE NUMBERS DONT LOOK TOO GREAT FOR ELK, BUT I HAVE ACCESS TO A CABIN & THOUGHT I MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY NEXT YEAR. IS UNIT ACCESS A PROBLEM, PRIVATE PROPERTY, TOO MANY COW HUNTERS ????.....YOU DONT HEAR MUCH ABOUT THIS UNIT. THIS WOULD BE A BOW HUNT.....ANY INFO. WOULD BE APPRECIATED........TAKE ER EASY.............YD.

I have hunted elk a few times in 65 with a rifle. Here is a summary of my experience there.
Billy Creek SWA: Way too many hunters. Didn't see any elk.

Buckhorn Mountain: Less hunters. More private property. Still no elk sighted.

Cimarron SWA: Lots of Hunters. One trip - no elk sighted. Another trip - over 100 elk in a large herd - harvested a 4 point bull.

That is what I can tell you about the few times I have been in that unit.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-13 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]That unit is very close to town so a lot of locals hunt it. Most of it is private and heavily outfitted so access is tough. Cimarron is the best bet for public. There are plenty of elk in that unit but most live on the private ground.

THANK YOU GUYS, THAT DOES HELP A BIT. A LOT OF PRIVATE WAS MY CONCERN. ADDITIONAL INFO IS WELCOME.......THANKS AGAIN.........................YD.

Archery is your best bet for catching these elk on public though, so you have that going for you. There's lots of national forest at higher elevations in 65 for Sept elk.

>Archery is your best bet for
>catching these elk on public
>though, so you have that
>going for you. There's
>lots of national forest at
>higher elevations in 65 for
>Sept elk.

YD,
I TOTALLY have the honey hole youre looking for in 65. Pm me.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom