unit 66 3rd season deer

goforbroke

I like to make a post whenever I might have something that benefits others on this site. I've learned a lot and gathered a lot of info from others here, so thank you.

I had a 66 3rd season deer tag this year. Super excited for the hunt. It ended up being a fun hunt with lots of deer, some rutting activity, but only a glimpse of a big buck.

We started off hunting the lower sage up to the pinyon country, pretty much west and south of 149 until you hit private. Saw 4-8 4 point deer every day, but no big ones. The deer I shot, we found on the first day, but hoped for better. New deer found on Thursday, but nothing big. The weather was hot and no snow in the mountains. Friday we went higher (10,000' plus), didn't see many deer, but my brother saw a 190 big buck, that we tried to find again Friday night and Saturday morning without success.

I got a little lucky and found the best buck I'd seen again around 3 that afternoon, as it was the last day I could hunt. He scores right at 160. My biggest deer to date and I'm happy with him, but a tougher hunt than I expected for the number of points it takes. Tried to rotate picture 3 times, sorry. Thanks to those that helped me on the hunt.

481deer.jpg

Depending on his width, he may be more than a 160 deer. Nice forks and congrats on a successful and fun trip.

Good work! That's a nice deer. I heard that was a little tougher hunt this year with the weather we've had. Well done and cool pic!

Congrats!
Regardless of score, that is a good looking mule deer!
Thanks for sharing your success! Sounds like a fun time hunting.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom