Unit 66 outfitter

robinsg61le

Hello! I'm looking for recommendations for a good mule deer outfitter in unit 66. I will be looking for a 180"+ buck... Fine with eating my tag. Thanks for any recommendations.

I have very limited knowledge of guides and services, but I've heard good about AEI. They might not hunt 66, but they do pretty close I know.

The effect of the late season dates is real obvious now. Please check 2023 references before App dead line... to all those with high points who want to hunt the "Gunny"...I think you missed it. Please do your own research.
Agree, I just burned 12 points on Second Season 66 Mule deer and we used a well known guide service and went 0 for 2. Absolutely no age structure left. Does and 2 year olds only. I'd like to leave a review, not sure where to write and post it.

If I was looking for 180+ in Colo I would pick an outfitter that has access to private land in an area that hasn't been impacted by late rifle season dates. With that said, you may have trouble finding a spot in Western Colo that currently is producing 180+ bucks. There just aren't many units left that haven't been impacted by the rut rifle season dates, increase in tags, winterkill, and overall drop in buck quality.

I would get on an outfitter's waiting list that manages hunter numbers in the Eastern Plains. You may have a chance at a TF buck that scores well over 180" but it may take years of waiting unless there is a cancellation hunt.

Good info so far. I'm not married to 66, I just like the data from it. I have 15 points to burn. I'm planning to go somewhere in 2025. I will take suggestions. I have pack animals and run a lot of pack hunts - so I can DIY, but I want to give myself the best chance at a 180+ buck.

3rd season second tier unit?

or

2nd season top-tier unit?

Last edited:
The main problem with most of the Gunnison Valley units is that the deer there have no lower ground to migrate to in bad winters. If you look in detail at the B&C history for those units there really weren't many B&C bucks from Gunnison County before Colo switched over to all draw deer units.

There happened to be several back to back years around that same time with mild winters that allowed bucks to mature. You may also be aware that there have been several horrible winters in that country in the past 10 years. Not only that, but the CPW increased tags during some of those poor years. To top it all off, the CPW has converted to rifle rut hunting dates. It's no wonder there are very few mature bucks left in that entire basin. Some may make it but there are fewer and fewer each year the late rifle season dates are open. I would highly advise looking elsewhere!

The genetics for B&C bucks is some of the best in Colorado but there aren't many bucks that survive past their 4th or 5th birthdays in the Gunnison Valley.

Just because you have 15 Colo pts right now doesn't mean a whole lot. Units with a lot of private land generally take fewer pts to draw and probably have a lot better management of mature bucks if they limit hunters. There really aren't many (if any) units in Colo that I would say are worth a pile of pts to draw. If you do draw, you will likely be frustrated and possibly not fill your tag if you are picky. If you research hard you may find a very few exceptions.

I would say the very best units right now for trophy bucks in Colorado are units that have a lot of private land so have less impacts from rut rifle season dates. Those units with a lot of well managed private land that haven't been hammered by severe winterkill would be what I would research if I was looking for a guided hunt. The CPW has really screwed up Colorado mule deer hunting on public land! What I find sickening is that this doesn't seem to be changing?

“Several horrible winters in the last 10 years?” You sure about that?

Give them credit; Its changing for the worse.

Good info so far. I'm not married to 66, I just like the data from it. I have 15 points to burn. I'm planning to go somewhere in 2025. I will take suggestions. I have pack animals and run a lot of pack hunts - so I can DIY, but I want to give myself the best chance at a 180+ buck.

3rd season second tier unit?

or

2nd season top-tier unit?
44 second season would be my advice

I hunted 66 3rd last year, and I tried to find an outfitter mainly to get on private land. that seems to be nearly impossible if not impossible.

There is one major player in the area for guides and I checked in with him for years since the point creep kept me on the edge so long. the day of the drawing I called him and tried several more times and he never responded. I wouldn't hunt with him for free after that he proved his word means nothing. I saw a couple bucks other outfitter's clients took and they were bucks I'd passed on myself hunting DIY. they were 160 type bucks, the guys were told they were bigger but they were happy so whatever. in short you don't need a guide and I'd forget that idea.

If it's 180 or bust plan on bust. It was a fun hunt I'd love to do it again. but it's not a trophy hunt the age structure just isn't there. almost all of the 3 year old bucks I'd been seeing were dead by the 5th day.

There is a lot of true that has already been posted above. I had the second season in 2021 and finding a four year old deer was nearly impossible. I found one on the last day of my hunt but he was nowhere near 180”. A lot of three year old bucks hit the dirt in the first five days and there was not many deer hunters left near the end. There was some really good hunters that I met on the mountain and it was the same story over and over. Everyone invested a pile of points and they were disappointed with the quality of bucks on the landscape. Most said the unit was overrated and living on the past and I would agree. I had a fun hunt but it does not take much to make me happy.

You might look to the eastern plains, some outfitters are still killing some good bucks. Plus you have plenty of points for a sure draw.

I hunted 66 3rd last year, and I tried to find an outfitter mainly to get on private land. that seems to be nearly impossible if not impossible.

There is one major player in the area for guides and I checked in with him for years since the point creep kept me on the edge so long. the day of the drawing I called him and tried several more times and he never responded. I wouldn't hunt with him for free after that he proved his word means nothing. I saw a couple bucks other outfitter's clients took and they were bucks I'd passed on myself hunting DIY. they were 160 type bucks, the guys were told they were bigger but they were happy so whatever. in short you don't need a guide and I'd forget that idea.

If it's 180 or bust plan on bust. It was a fun hunt I'd love to do it again. but it's not a trophy hunt the age structure just isn't there. almost all of the 3 year old bucks I'd been seeing were dead by the 5th day.
Definitely know who you are talking about. Getting him to respond is impossible.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom