Unit 67 2nd Season Deer

Gon4elk

My 13 year old son was fortunate enough to draw one of the secondary tags for the subject area and hunt.

Right now were looking at going the last 5 days of the hunt and staying in Gunnison.

Looking for some places to look from past hunters. Were not afraid to get off the road and hunt hard as needed. He's not holdin out for a monster :)

Thanks for any info

He's not holdin out for a monster :)
You do not need any help to get this done. An hour or two on any BLM road will lead you be like 90 percent of people I saw in 66 2nd last year......smoke a 2/3 year old after hunting hard for two days then tell everyone you could not find a 4 year old buck anywhere.

I also have second season. Question for those that are familiar with the area.. if you had to choose between going a couple days early to scout and hunt the front end of the season, or show up mid season and hunt through the end, which would you prefer? Would it even matter during second season? This is my first time hunting the area and prefer to familiarize myself beforehand so I'm leaning toward getting in there a couple days early.

I also have second season. Question for those that are familiar with the area.. if you had to choose between going a couple days early to scout and hunt the front end of the season, or show up mid season and hunt through the end, which would you prefer? Would it even matter during second season? This is my first time hunting the area and prefer to familiarize myself beforehand so I'm leaning toward getting in there a couple days early.
Kinda depends on the weather, but last year more deer were showing up every day. I was not in 67, but a unit right next door.

If you know the weather forecast then it would be an answerable question. I would go later in the season but it is not an easy decision by any means.

You do not need any help to get this done. An hour or two on any BLM road will lead you be like 90 percent of people I saw in 66 2nd last year......smoke a 2/3 year old after hunting hard for two days then tell everyone you could not find a 4 year old buck anywhere.
Sounds like you were successful. Post up a pic. I hunted 66 2nd a few years ago without any luck.

66 3rd they passed on the few 4 year olds there were until the middle of the season then they went down. once they were gone the 3 year olds got thinned.

The age structure in the Gunnison really needs to come up, I cannot stress this enough. best buck I know of came out of 551.

I think what Weaver is saying is if you're not picky or have little determination you can shoot a buck whenever you want. I'd agree.

Sounds like you were successful. Post up a pic. I hunted 66 2nd a few years ago without any luck.
Successful. No. I ate my tag. Depends on what you call success I guess. Spent 16 days in beautiful country. Looked at a lot of deer and other game, had a good time. Just did not find what I wanted, which was not a 2 or 3 year old deer.

I agree with doing the scouting with a gun in your hands.
Yes indeed- have your rifle & yourself at the ready always ! Chances & game can really surprise you at the least expected times. Always be ready for the shot of a lifetime ! Happy Hunting !! Best of luck !! ???
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom