Unit 68 Information

H

HuntElk4Fun

Curious if anyone has ever hunted 68 for deer or elk? Our little group will be chasing deer and elk on the late season this year and looking for some general information on the unit. Thanks.

H4F

We haven't decided that just yet. Considering Saguache was pretty central to the 3 units, we might stay in the motel in town or mix n match camping and the motel. Although we will focus our efforts on 68 and 681.

Been pretty dry the last few years. Hat Springs is usually productive for elk. The area near Storm King near the ranger cabin seems good given the number of campers I see there every year.

Post some more specifics and I will do my best to answer...btw, the motel was up for sale a few months ago. Some of those canyons North of La Garita are where some other locals go....too crowded for my tastes. Saguache Creek is really crowded too. I have found my best deer hunting to be in cliffs/canyons overlooking roadways...seems like the bucks think they are close enough to the road to be invincible.

Our primary focus will be around deer. We will mostly like try to set up camp around the deer hunt, but have the elk tag in case we run into some decent elk too. It seems every year on our deer hunts we run into a good elk or two and nobody in camp has an elk tag!

With that in mind, what should we expect in regards to the quality of deer? What kind of animals usually come off the unit? We usually set our expectations pretty high and are willing to hike in deep or do what it takes to get away from the crowds as well. Although with this hunt being mid November during the rut, we plan to focus on the winter ranges and rutting areas.

I sent you a PM as well. Thanks!!

I am not sure what to tell you about the quality of deer, me not being a measuring kind of guy.

If it snows a lot, I would look for them closer to Saguache and La Garita....although the store/cafe may be a better place to gather information. They also have a picture wall of animals taken.

You might also try the roadless area next to the La Garita Wilderness. Just off Coolbroth canyon.

I have found my biggest bucks either near the wilderness area or near the ranches along the main road.

On the map, it appears Coolbroth canyon is in unit 79. Where is the wilderness area? Also, have you spent much time in 681 north of Saguache (Hayden Peak and Sheep Mountain areas)?

>On the map, it appears Coolbroth
>canyon is in unit 79.
> Where is the wilderness
>area? Also, have you
>spent much time in 681
>north of Saguache (Hayden Peak
>and Sheep Mountain areas)?

Yup, Coolbroth canyon is at the northern tip of 79...gotta be careful of the boundaries. Several years ago the USFS closed off some roads near Coolbroth. The area around there has been good for elk, especially near Storm King....judging by the game poles. Too crowded for me.

I have never hunted the Hayden Peak/Sheep Mountain area. There are supposed to be some roadless areas near Wannmaker creek. I have never hunted there, some of the locals say it is pretty good for them.

Not yet, can't check yahoo from work.

We will be up there third season. I'll pass along my cell number just in case something interesting happens.

Awesome.. that will be fun. Better get that freezer ready for 3 elk and a deer! :)

In looking at the maps, there is alot of farmland and agricultural areas around Saguache. If this is like other late units in Colorado, I'm assuming the deer probably enjoy hitting the fields to feed and move back up into the hills to bed? Have you found this to be true in this area?

H4F

feddoc, any archery info you would be willing to share via PM on unit 68?

Thanks,
GR

me and a friend have third season deer tags in 68. im just curious if we will see a good nuber of deer or is it few and far between? will we have to get lucky to shoot a 24 inch buck or better or does this unit hold some good deer?

>me and a friend have third
>season deer tags in 68.
> im just curious
>if we will see a
>good nuber of deer or
>is it few and far
>between? will
>we have to get lucky
>to shoot a 24 inch
>buck or better or does
>this unit hold some good
>deer?

What part of the unit are you hunting in?

FED, ill check it over and get back to you on monday. I know we were looking into a roadless area. we have a 1,200 acre ranch with fields to hunt so we will scout it out. if the weather is right that might be the place to be but if its warm we'll be moving around looking for out of the way places with not much pressure. i was just curious if theres a good amount of deer (bucks and Does) im more for a good time. i just enjoy watching deer and being in the mountains. but if a mature buck comes my way hopfully he will have my tag on him!!!

Last few years there have been a lot of deer where we hunt. Big Dry Gulch seems to have a bunch too.

I'm still curious the general size of deer in the unit? Is a 160 class 4x4 a monster in this unit or what is the standard sized buck? Don't really care what the "standard" is for quality, but would like something to reference it too and know what to expect going in.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom