Unit 7/8 3rd Season Rifle Deer

C

CO_Hunter

So i went up scouting trhis past weekend for my deer tag and had NO luck at all. Seen more moose than i did anything else. i seen 4 does and that's about it!

If anyone knows anything more on this unit besides what the DWR has done i would like to talk with you and see what you have to say about this. Please send me a PM and we can discuss.

I have hunted these units, and i am going to hunt them this year, i always see, lots of other hunters, and I see a few critters get taken as well...just a little surprised that no one ever comments on these units. there is tons of area there, some winch looks like good elk habitat..i would suspect most of the hunters are locals.. other than that, I haven't figured out the riddle yet. I've see elk and deer in the area, just haven't connected yet.

Tough units to hunt. CDOW really thinned the herd out when CEDAR first hit 10 to 12 years ago. Give it 3 or 4 years and this will be one of the premium tags to have for mulies in the west. Good luck.

7/8 will never be "premium" tags . . . Unit 8 is mostly thick timber and is relatively flat, while unit 7 is very steep with a good amount of high timberline country. Deer densities are very low throughout these units. You can find pockets of deer, though in much of these units you could go an entire season without seeing a mature buck. During the 3rd season, hunt in the 8-9k foot range in that "edge" country.

From what i hear this used to be a "premium" unit and looks like it's rebounding fairly well!! also, has anyone seen any whitetail up there? i was reading a report that said the mule deer tag is also good for the whitetail? they also called unit 7&8 out for holding whitetail.

I have never heard 7 & 8 being premium for anything other then dense thick timber and low deer numbers. All the hunting my friends and I have done up there over the years I would say it can be productive in certain pockets but it is much better for elk overall.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

It's in the process of being managed for high buck to doe ratios. 45 to 50 bucks per 100 does and 15 to 20 mature bucks per 100 does. I never said it was premium habitat. Doesn't matter, some of the best deer habitat in this state is all but void of deer. Again it will be a solid producer of mature deer in 5 years and a hard to get tag. Genetics are solid in the Red Feather region. Good luck.

I have no idea what the "plan" is for the units but currently it is tough to get a deer. Especially unit 7 where there are deer it is either private or so many roads and atv trails or you have the wilderness but that is more elk/moose habitat.
There are deer in there but not large numbers.
There is a reason leftovers are available all year long there.

I didn't really get a chance but I would look more over on the east side of the Laramie (???, valley) river versus the west side.
Best of luck, cause you will need it. I wouldn't be too scared to bet a months salary you will see more moose than deer (all sexes).

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Most areas you will probably see more moose than deer! As I mentioned above, there are "pockets" where you can get into deer fairly consistently. I PM'd the poster of this thread some of those spots, but thus far no response!

ColoradoRam must be reading the management plan for the areas, which is available on the DOW website. I have spoken to the district wildlife manager for that area a few times in an attempt to limit deer harvest. So far, doe tags have been cut way back from the days of the CWD "slaughter" and deer are coming back there, but I can tell you with a great amount of certainty that units 7/8 will never been premium deer areas! Much of this has to do with habitat and genetics, but also due to the fact that buck tags are still going to be issued fairly liberally. This is partially the result of public sentiment, as surveys in the area have indicated a desire for hunters to be able to get a tag every year. Talk to the bio for this area and he will tell you to shoot the very first buck you see. He will also tell you that if you are a trophy hunter, go to the western slope!

By "premium" area, we're talking about those areas that are known to consistently produce world-class deer. Aren't we?

Well me and my dad draw buck tags for 7&8 this year we do lot fishing on laramie river on colorado side back there off hwy 230 out laramie never hunted back there before but last time we was up there few weeks ago we counted over 65 deer before we got back to main road good luck every one this year hunt safe

I live part time in a unit to the south, I am familiar enough with the area. The guys are spot on with the assessment, not a ton of deer. They tend to stay in pockets, often on private especially by the Laramie river. Bucks will be higher than the does typically and will stick to the thick timber until the weather or rut forces them lower. Good luck on your hunt this year

Thank u if we don't get one that's OK as dad getting older memories last a lifetime we fish in their alot do lot messing around in area just never hunted but we go out give her a shot

Thank u if we don't get one that's OK as dad getting older memories last a lifetime we fish in their alot do lot messing around in area just never hunted but we go out give her a shot
What season are you going out?

2nd season is tough just about anywhere, sometimes we get the late October snow though. I have an idea for you if you aren’t finding deer, you could check out I’ll pm you

Hnthrdr since we talkd last time been up there fishing and scouting around u said u live up close to unit 8 I found a area I really liked up there off rd 69 by Bellaire lakes what's ur feed back for mule deer in that area and thank u

Hnthrdr since we talkd last time been up there fishing and scouting around u said u live up close to unit 8 I found a area I really liked up there off rd 69 by Bellaire lakes what's ur feed back for mule deer in that area and thank u
I also have this tag and have been looking for spots. I think I’ll be at that spot also just to give me somewhere to start. New to this.

I also have this tag and have been looking for spots. I think I’ll be at that spot also just to give me somewhere to start. New to this.
That’s where I was planning on hunting too. Prolly have a few other new hunters in the area that found those spots by internet scouting! E-scouting at its finest!

That’s where I was planning on hunting too. Prolly have a few other new hunters in the area that found those spots by internet scouting! E-scouting at its finest!
Well, there’s 12 in my group. We have a big green army surplus tent and always setup right by bathrooms at campgrounds.

Well, there’s 12 in my group. We have a big green army surplus tent and always setup right by bathrooms at campgrounds.
We will look for the green tent. Our camp will consist of 3 dodge Cummins, trailers full of SXS’s and windows full of free stickers that came with our full price gear purchases.

I sent him a pm and tried to warn him… area might just look a little bit more like a pumpkin patch… loose lips sink ships… naw more like loose lips spook bucks

Just look for big buck hanging in tree by his hind legs u will know ur at my camp
You’re most likely going to want to quarter your deer and pack it out on your pack in a couple loads. Dragging one out whole will not be fun at the distances it might take to encounter a shooter.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom