Unit 7 hunt

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I just got back last night from my Unit #7 elk hunt. Had a great hunt. My stuff was #@&%ed up because I was on fires for 22 straight days and only got home 1 1/2 days before I left to Wyoming. No shooting of the bow, horses out of shape and me fat.

We were into 300-330 bulls every day. Hot, dry the first 5-6 days. Then showers every afternoon. The bulls got vocal. Had a great time. I just couldn't pull those herd bulls from their dozen or so cows no matter how sexy I sounded. I believe I need to get more agressive with the bugle when I'm within 125-150 yards of these bigger bulls instead of trying to sweet talk them in with cow talk. Anyways, I called a 5 point satelite bull in the next to last day and did him. My partner was 75 yards in front of me, set up as we had a good bull 200 yards above us. I almost landed my bull in his lap. He died on the opposite side of the tree he set up under. He had the strangest look on his face because he never heard me shoot.

I thought hard the night before about shooting a "lesser" bull. I thought I would rather kill a satelite bull with my bow then a 300+" bull with the rifle. Plus my dad (77 years young) has a hard time getting to where the bulls are. Now when we go back in rifle season I can carry his gear and even his rifle in the dark. Get him to the elk. I have total confidence he'll get it done with a rifle.

Leaving on the 6th for our antelope hunt with my wife and son, that should leave me 2-3 days to scout the elk before rifle season. I have an idea of where to have my dad opening day but something better and easier might pop up with some scouting.

Everytime I miss a September or two chasing elk in the rut, I forget how much I love it. I hooked again!! I hope everyone's seasons have been, or are going to be as good as mine has been so far.

Way to go Cali!

Nothing wrong with having to go back to chase elk in Wyo!

I love stretching my Wyo elk hunts out for as long as I can--haha

Robb

I have a few pics on my camera. Will try to get them onto the computer tonight. A coincidence is that asw my partner set up and I backed away, I found a decent 6 pt bull dead. Entire skelton almost intact. I set up 10 yards from the 6pt. And I broke a few limbs after the first series of calls for shooting lanes. Had I not broken those limbs, I couldn't have shot him where I did.

I called F&G the next day before I packed my bull out and was told to GPS the spot, take photos of the carcass and I could.have the skull and horns for $8.00.

Anyways, I packed out my bulls and the horns/skull of the other bull. The skull will make a nice decoration on my place. Just haven't decided wher/shat to do with it yet. Any ideas?

Public land??? No, not really. We paid $150.00 each, every 5 days to hunt a private ranch, bascially $30.00 a day. I killed my bull on the edge of the ranch but at least 1/2 of the time we were on public, either BLM or Wyoming state lands. We got into the better bulls on public but getting access to those spots required crossing private.

If you've followed my previous posts on Wy elk, you'd know I've been applying for the NW part of the state for years but my partner is "griz scared" and my Dad just wanted a tag since he's 77. With the wolf and griz issues, I told him I'd apply for #7 if he found private to hunt on. And he did good. Nothing like the country i'm used to but plenty of elk and good bulls to 330".

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom