unit 7

He's gotta be talking elk...downside lots and lots of hunters and access issues, bad snowstorm can shut down the whole area. Upside...everyday you hunt you have a legitimate chance at a 300-350 bull. Hunted it two years in a row as a resident before the hype...got a 347 the first year, second year missed a small 6 point (maybe 240) and settled for a spike last day. With 7 you're paying for the opportunity...I know plenty of guys that have hunted it for both bull and cow and have gone home empty because of access and weather issues.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-11 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]I'm assuming you're talikg Elk. The good is that if you're willing to pay for quality private land access you'll have a great hunt for nice bulls. The bad is that you are one point off the max points pool. So your draw odds, even in the special draw, are about 4 %.

1) Wagonhound is around $9000, and there are other good outfitters that operate in 7 as well.

2) There will be hunters in your point class that will be drawn this year in 7 if everything stays the same as last year in the special draw...up to 54% IMO.

Bottomline- Go through an outfitter or get access to private land and it will rival anything outside of Arizona... Go public access and you'll need a ton of scouting time and/or lots of luck... the hunting pressure on public access areas has gotten competely out of hand...

I'm in the same boat and hunted it with a friend a few years back so I'm familiar with the public/private issues. I'm wanting to hunt a trophy area (340+)and was interested in peoples opinions. Would it be better for me to wait a few years and put in for another area that might have less access issues. I'm a diy hunter and paying a reasonable trespass fee ($500) for Unit 7 is about all I'd be able to do. WY is likely my last chance for a trophy hunt so I don't want to waste it. btw I do bow hunt but I'd heard the bow hunting pressure in Unit 7 is also a bit crowded although we didn't experience the overcrowding when we hunted it about 4 years ago on the last weekend of the bowhunt. We hunted later in the rifle and didn't have much overcrowding either but also the elk were few and far between (on private land). Any opinions on whether you think there'd be a better unit to hunt than 7 if I were to wait a few years!

Delmag,
Last year 5 points was the max so 54% of those drew. This year the max is 6. COLO has 5 so he'll be in the random draw. Odds in the special random draw are about 4% for unit 7.

COLO, IMO $500 is not going to get you on a worthwhile piece of private in unit 7. Last I heard it was $2,000 +. 5 points will get you a tag anywhere in the bighorns. Units 45,38, and 39 are probably best. If you aren't afraid to put in some time and burn a little boot leather you'll have a real good hunt there. GOOD LUCK. Chip

COLO---Pay close attention to what chipc just posted because he's on the button. Forget about unit 7 and hunt one of those units in the BigHorns THIS year!!!

i talked to my guide vand he said he hunts private land outside of douglas. he said 330 and up is a realistic goal. i have 5 points going into this years draw so i feel i have 50 % chance of drawing in the specialo draw

73% drew in the Special (7) last year with max. With the same applicant theory, that leaves 26 with max pp for unit 7, hence 42 tags would go to hunters with 1 less than max.

Del,
You are assuming that everyone with max points applied. Many people wait until they are certain they'll get a tag before applying so they can plan, budget, etc...If you look back from year to year you'll see what I mean about the "points creep". No doubt there will be more than 26 max point holders applying for unit 7 next year. Will there be 68 ? I guess we'll see but for Colo's sake I hope not. Happy New Year. C.

I would venture to bet that some -1 pp holders will draw 7 in the special this year, how many impossible to say. Good luck to all of you.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom